DMX Output Frequency

Was Teching my FB4's internal DP and four dmx ports before taking it out on a job and noticed that even though the H4 software allows for you to increase DMX Refresh Rate to an upward number of 44hz, that the maximum actual DMX RR is limited to 29hz.

Is this by design?

Are we limited to 29hz on all internal DP's?

Are all of the External DP's limited to the same RR?

Can we get 44hz out of artnet and a 3rd party node?

Don't have a node or an external DP to test as I'm at home right now..

Would appreciate a reply from HES.

JB
  • MLorenz, we aren't talking about going beyond 44hz, so the start byte cannot come too early. I understand why Highend defaults the refresh at 25hz, but I do expect to be able to push it to 44hz on any given console.
  • Sorry, my post was not fully clear
    You are right what you are saying, the thing is that some fixtures have a problem when not all 512 channels are transmitted, even if you send the correct start-byte.
    I was refering to what JB said that lowering the transmitted channel-number would speed it up. I had fixtures that really had problems when you lower the number of transmitted channels (I did this with AVO Pearl and Diamond several years ago). Cant remember exactly if it was the amount of time between to start bytes or what caused it, but the DMX Receiver in these fixtures and dimmers was a bit picky when it was too fast. Like you need sometimes to slow the DMX down with some china-LEDs...

The option to speed it up to 44Hz should be there, I fully agree that.
  • Ah. I understand. Yes, I presume the China LED issue is why its defaulted to 25.
  • You guys probably saw this, but our recent version 2.3 release allows refresh rates up to 42Hz across all hardware in the Hog 4 range. Note that adding USB widgets (single, super, or super duper) may reduce refresh rates due to the additional time needed to communicate with and sync the widgets. Also note that some fixtures may not be compatible with higher refresh rates as you previously mentioned.