Smal Pixel mapping

is there in the next update a pixel mapping or what are the plans?
it will be useful even if you have only 20 sunstrips or led fixtures
the video you do with a media server but for those little things very handy:)
Parents
  • As per the specs on the HES website, the H4 is on an Intel I5, the FB on an Intel I3, both I believe are Dual Core, not quads. I have two Arkaos MMP servers that are running overclocked dedicated I7 quads with matched Boards, 16gigs of fast ram and a top of the line AMD firepro card and I have no problem choking those machines if I try, especially when I'm sending to a pixelmap instead of just a video surface . Sure, the H4 will never be a replacement for a Media Server, but I don't think you realize the amount of processing at the CPU, that's required to simply decode a compressed video file and then convert it to DMX data for a mapped surface. Sure, the H4 could do it, but either way you look at it, your gonna be taking from peter to pay paul and the control response from the desk is gonna suffer. It may be unnoticeable, or completely noticeable. In the end, unless your running a very low resolution Pixelmapped Effect, your gonna end up using a media server anyway.

Doing an LTP, HTP or switchable Artnet or DMX merger at a node, IMHO, is actually as easy and intuitive as it would be if you were running the media and a fixture patch out of the console.

Pixelmapping from the desk is indeed a cool feature, but if it gets in the way of the control desk doing it's primary job, then it's more of a hindrance.

Another thing to consider... The use of LED's as a image display device is becoming more popular and more affordable. The displays are getting bigger and of smaller pitch, which basically means more pixels overall. The big LED rigs of yesterday will be the small rigs of tomorrow.

With that being said, if HES does implement a video driven pixel mapper on the H4 without sacrifice, then better still.

JB
  • As per the specs on the HES website, the H4 is on an Intel I5, the FB on an Intel I3, both I believe are Dual Core, not quads. I have two Arkaos MMP servers that are running overclocked dedicated I7 quads with matched Boards, 16gigs of fast ram and a top of the line AMD firepro card and I have no problem choking those machines if I try, especially when I'm sending to a pixelmap instead of just a video surface . Sure, the H4 will never be a replacement for a Media Server, but I don't think you realize the amount of processing at the CPU, that's required to simply decode a compressed video file and then convert it to DMX data for a mapped surface. Sure, the H4 could do it, but either way you look at it, your gonna be taking from peter to pay paul and the control response from the desk is gonna suffer. It may be unnoticeable, or completely noticeable. In the end, unless your running a very low resolution Pixelmapped Effect, your gonna end up using a media server anyway.

Doing an LTP, HTP or switchable Artnet or DMX merger at a node, IMHO, is actually as easy and intuitive as it would be if you were running the media and a fixture patch out of the console.

Pixelmapping from the desk is indeed a cool feature, but if it gets in the way of the control desk doing it's primary job, then it's more of a hindrance.

Another thing to consider... The use of LED's as a image display device is becoming more popular and more affordable. The displays are getting bigger and of smaller pitch, which basically means more pixels overall. The big LED rigs of yesterday will be the small rigs of tomorrow.

With that being said, if HES does implement a video driven pixel mapper on the H4 without sacrifice, then better still.

JB
Children
No Data