Smal Pixel mapping

is there in the next update a pixel mapping or what are the plans?
it will be useful even if you have only 20 sunstrips or led fixtures
the video you do with a media server but for those little things very handy:)
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]Hey Marty, Processor info on 1st page under Hardware.

H4.. www.highend.com/pdfs/HOG_4_Console_ArchSpec.pdf

FB4.. www.highend.com/pdfs/Full_Boar_4_Console_ArchSpec.pdf

RH4.. www.highend.com/pdfs/Road_Hog_4_Console_ArchSpec.pdf

Cool....didn't even think to look there,

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]
    Take your Axon and try scratching the H264 Content. Anything not playing back forewords and your gonna peg your processor. Feed it 32bit apple pro res files and try running just 4 1080P layers. You will probably see skipping and dropped frames.

Yes scrubbing through frames does make it work a bit harder, but not excessively....probably b/c AXON uses only VERY SPECIFICALLY encoded MPEG-2 content files.....H264 and Apple Pro Res, etc won't work with AXON.

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]
    Most media servers require a certain list of file types and encoding or media compression. This was done so the manufacturer can control the types of files that you are allowed to play back based on what they designed their system to do. This means that sometimes you have to re-render content to make it compatible. Arkaos is one of the exceptions, as it will take almost any file type and compression. Its up to you as the programmer to choose the best file type for the type of playback you intend on using.

Much like Hog....I'm sure once pixel mapping is enabled, then the video file type will need to be very closely controlled in order to keep system resources from being overly taxed. I would hope/expect some type of import file screening and conversion to be available directly on the desk to help facilitate that. Perhaps there should also be a "meter" of some sort that shows us exactly how hard the system is working so we can make informed decisions as we program as to how far we are willing to push it.

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]My Arkaos Boxes are dedicated for just media work, the Bios have been tweaked, the OS has been tweaked and the only processes running are the only processes needed for the dedicated media work. It's as good if not better than your Axon or the Arkaos dedicated stadium server. Don't kid yourself, most if not all the media servers are running a stripped down version of Win or Mac OS, WITH ONLY THE NECESSARY PROCESSES RUNNING. The media server manufacturers offer the servers up as turn key solutions for someone who doesn't want to do their own system configuration. Its still nothing more than a Windows or Mac box running software.

That is all well and good, but unless you are developing your own version of say XPe or Win7 embedded....the "standard" OS can only be ratcheted back so far....not nearly as far as a custom embedded OS verision

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203].....a separate system, designed specifically for manipulating and outputting media in realtime. Personally, I would like to see the Hog play to its strong points and not get labeled as a "Jack of all trades and a winner of none".

And for "heavy duty" or large scale use I would agree a server is a much better option. I also agree that when it is done it has to be done right, and not just as a gimmick or marketing ploy.

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]It's a good forum here and no reason to agree, if you disagree, so I respect your opinions.. Sure, more gear means more points of failure... But I don't feel comfortable adding extra load and tasks to the most important piece of hardware in the system...which is the control desk. Especially when I can use a dedicated media server.

Good conversation... All very valid points.

I agree. I enjoy these discussions with other intelligent people here regardless of their point of view....one of the many reasons you won't find me on some of the other forums where people just want to take a piss on one another all day long....I've got no time for that.
  • [QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]Hey Marty, Processor info on 1st page under Hardware.

H4.. www.highend.com/pdfs/HOG_4_Console_ArchSpec.pdf

FB4.. www.highend.com/pdfs/Full_Boar_4_Console_ArchSpec.pdf

RH4.. www.highend.com/pdfs/Road_Hog_4_Console_ArchSpec.pdf

Cool....didn't even think to look there,

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]
    Take your Axon and try scratching the H264 Content. Anything not playing back forewords and your gonna peg your processor. Feed it 32bit apple pro res files and try running just 4 1080P layers. You will probably see skipping and dropped frames.

Yes scrubbing through frames does make it work a bit harder, but not excessively....probably b/c AXON uses only VERY SPECIFICALLY encoded MPEG-2 content files.....H264 and Apple Pro Res, etc won't work with AXON.

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]
    Most media servers require a certain list of file types and encoding or media compression. This was done so the manufacturer can control the types of files that you are allowed to play back based on what they designed their system to do. This means that sometimes you have to re-render content to make it compatible. Arkaos is one of the exceptions, as it will take almost any file type and compression. Its up to you as the programmer to choose the best file type for the type of playback you intend on using.

Much like Hog....I'm sure once pixel mapping is enabled, then the video file type will need to be very closely controlled in order to keep system resources from being overly taxed. I would hope/expect some type of import file screening and conversion to be available directly on the desk to help facilitate that. Perhaps there should also be a "meter" of some sort that shows us exactly how hard the system is working so we can make informed decisions as we program as to how far we are willing to push it.

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]My Arkaos Boxes are dedicated for just media work, the Bios have been tweaked, the OS has been tweaked and the only processes running are the only processes needed for the dedicated media work. It's as good if not better than your Axon or the Arkaos dedicated stadium server. Don't kid yourself, most if not all the media servers are running a stripped down version of Win or Mac OS, WITH ONLY THE NECESSARY PROCESSES RUNNING. The media server manufacturers offer the servers up as turn key solutions for someone who doesn't want to do their own system configuration. Its still nothing more than a Windows or Mac box running software.

That is all well and good, but unless you are developing your own version of say XPe or Win7 embedded....the "standard" OS can only be ratcheted back so far....not nearly as far as a custom embedded OS verision

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203].....a separate system, designed specifically for manipulating and outputting media in realtime. Personally, I would like to see the Hog play to its strong points and not get labeled as a "Jack of all trades and a winner of none".

And for "heavy duty" or large scale use I would agree a server is a much better option. I also agree that when it is done it has to be done right, and not just as a gimmick or marketing ploy.

[QUOTE=Buzz313th;73203]It's a good forum here and no reason to agree, if you disagree, so I respect your opinions.. Sure, more gear means more points of failure... But I don't feel comfortable adding extra load and tasks to the most important piece of hardware in the system...which is the control desk. Especially when I can use a dedicated media server.

Good conversation... All very valid points.

I agree. I enjoy these discussions with other intelligent people here regardless of their point of view....one of the many reasons you won't find me on some of the other forums where people just want to take a piss on one another all day long....I've got no time for that.
Children
No Data