Smal Pixel mapping

is there in the next update a pixel mapping or what are the plans?
it will be useful even if you have only 20 sunstrips or led fixtures
the video you do with a media server but for those little things very handy:)
  • [QUOTE=MLorenz;73208]I think what most people want to see is an easy bitmap animator. And not a an option to playback Full HD Videos. Together with that an more advanced selection tool like MATricks.

I wouldn't say a bitmap animator takes it far enough....just a still image that then moves around is OK, but not nearly dynamic enough. A low-res video file would offer much better options, or some sort of onboard file conversion that can take a higher res file and sample pixel areas to take it down to a lower res.
  • Cool post Marty, Thanks.

If I need to scrub files or go backwards on Arkaos, I found that "PhotoJpg" files rerendered with a key frame every frame or "Anim" file type will give me the ability to playback any direction or scrub (Scratch) with very little CPU overhead. I have been able to scrub 8 layers off faders and have CPU and GPU FPS stay we'll above 300. Those file types allow for almost an uncompressed file. It's a huge file compared to other types, but more importantly it doesn't need to do a lot of decoding, so it leaves your CPU alone. The bottleneck in this case is the Ram and then the Ssd. Both of which are fat enough for the task.

If your Axon will eat those file types, give it a spin.

All the best

JB
  • In regards to the OS... I'm on win8.1 now for the servers and not only has it improved rendering performance over win7, but Win8.1 is extremely customizable. I believe I trimmed it down to just the bare bones necessary for Arkaos.

JB
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;73221]I wouldn't say a bitmap animator takes it far enough....just a still image that then moves around is OK, but not nearly dynamic enough. A low-res video file would offer much better options, or some sort of onboard file conversion that can take a higher res file and sample pixel areas to take it down to a lower res.

Hey Marty,

yes and no...
    I agree that it would offer much more options.
    I would love to see something like in Clarity.
    But no because of all the reasons you also mentioned: which files, which codec, processor load etc etc
    JB also mentioned one thing: when a problem occurs the whole system might be affected...
    And when I see the answers to my question which array size etc the people are using a animated bmp would be good for 90% or more, even if we had the chance to play real video it would be better.
    I think one of the main-differences to consoles like Clarity and Chamsys is that the HOG OS distributes the calculation to specific nodes and doesnt do all the DMX calculation in the console. Once a cue is programmed it is "stored" in the DP and the console only starts this cue and let all calculations be done by the DP.
    So that would mean all movies etc must be first transfered to the DP and also stored their before they could be played back. This would mean Gbit Network as a must etc... Also something that needs to be considered
  • [QUOTE=Buzz313th;73222]Cool post Marty, Thanks.

If I need to scrub files or go backwards on Arkaos, I found that "PhotoJpg" files rerendered with a key frame every frame or "Anim" file type will give me the ability to playback any direction or scrub (Scratch) with very little CPU overhead. I have been able to scrub 8 layers off faders and have CPU and GPU FPS stay we'll above 300. Those file types allow for almost an uncompressed file. It's a huge file compared to other types, but more importantly it doesn't need to do a lot of decoding, so it leaves your CPU alone. The bottleneck in this case is the Ram and then the Ssd. Both of which are fat enough for the task.

If your Axon will eat those file types, give it a spin.

All the best

JB

These file-types are always best if you like to playback a movie backwards. Keyframe every frame is the key to success ;-)
    I use Catalyst a lot and the CPU is the secondary thing there, like in most Media-Servers. GPU and fast datatransfer from you storage is the main-thing to take care about. I can playback 8 layers of Full HD ProRes 422 on a Mac Pro Quad Core 5.1 with a Quadro 4000 in it.
  • Hey JB,

as the Quadro 4000 only has 2 Outputs without any additional hardware just 2.
    But with a Datapath x4 connected or 2 dual/triple heads it is possible

Even better are the GTX680 or HD7950. They both have 4 Outputs and Catalyst will soon support 4 direct outputs.
    With these cards also 4K output is possible
    Will do some tests with the new MacPro as soon as there is a Mavericks version of Catalyst
  • I ran the 7970 for a while, but just upgraded both boxes to AMD W9000s. They are monster cards. 6 outs at 4k each, plus I can Genlock (Framelock) at the cards which is awesome since I don't have to do an ImagePro. They are well worth the money and transforms the box into a good investment.
  • hello,
    I'm quite divided on the pixel mapping directly into the console. This would require a lot of crossfade on all DMX channels and suddenly the console performance would suffer . So I think the media server solution is better.
    But imagine a pixel mapping on a 10 x 10 magicPanel wall ( 60x60 pixels).
    If I want to run a media on the entire map then the media server works well.
    But now imagine that we want only turn on the first and last LED of each MagicPanel ... I think it becomes a little complicated with a media server
    The easiest, in this case, is that the console directly turn on those LEDs. But unfortunately this is the media server that is wired to the magic panels ....
    Should therefore merge the media server AND the console...
    So in the end we need 1 media server + 1 merger htp.

So I think it would be more interesting than the hog can be a REAL merger htp that can make a pixel mapping alone.
    This way we can run all kinds of media but also easily controlling each pixel.

Regards,

Gael