Fader Resolution

When using the masters for a manual fade, I find it a bit steppy. This is on a Hog 4, but I asked somebody else to test their RH4 and the same results are seen.

I checked in the DMX window and I very slowly and carefully faded out a fixture at 100%. I counted just 75 steps of resolution to reach from 255 to zero, which would explain why I am seeing the steppyness in shows.

My question is, is this a limitation of the hardware, or could this resolution be boosted to 255 steps, to smooth out manual fades?

Many thanks

Colin
Parents
  • Marco, I think the resolution we are getting is way below 8 bit. Surely we should have 255 steps, whereas we get about 75 steps.

Interestingly, I looked at the faders in the hardware test and there they move in single increments, 0 to 255. When fading in a show file, they move in increments of 4 or 5.

So it's clearly a software limitation currently, and not a hardware issue, which is great. Hopefully it can be improved to give us 255 steps and smooth manual fades.

Could this be logged as a request please?

It's such an apparent issue, particularly with LED, but even noticeable with a tungsten fixture on a slow fade.
  • Marco, I think the resolution we are getting is way below 8 bit. Surely we should have 255 steps, whereas we get about 75 steps.

Interestingly, I looked at the faders in the hardware test and there they move in single increments, 0 to 255. When fading in a show file, they move in increments of 4 or 5.

So it's clearly a software limitation currently, and not a hardware issue, which is great. Hopefully it can be improved to give us 255 steps and smooth manual fades.

Could this be logged as a request please?

It's such an apparent issue, particularly with LED, but even noticeable with a tungsten fixture on a slow fade.
Children
No Data