When are we getting a decent fixture builder?

With the amount of Chinese gear flooding the market, the need for a fully powered fixture builder is higher everyday.

Is one in the pipe works?
Parents
  • Can I actually get a continuous parameter on anything? I can do this with colour, but never managed it on "everything"

+1 on sorted alphabetically.

A VL4000 is not enough Marc, I get more colour problems that anything else, so I have a profile fixture and wash fixture that I program with that has CMY, 3 colour wheels, amber and white channels etc along with 3 rotating gobo wheels. I think they both where made to cover anything I had come across in the past 2 years.

I am interested in your thoughts on the following as I thought it rather long winded and wondered if I was getting it wrong. Arrived at the gig which s about far up north in the UK as you can go and perhaps limited in what they have. As suspected a couple of LED par can things not in the library cropped up. Same problem for the event console and dealt with in a few minutes, I took a while longer.

Have built line by line and patched the fixture to find out that it needed to be edited a bit, I found that having to edit (copy) that fixture and re-patch it a bit of a chore, one of the par cans certainly had a nice config of channels placed randomly and took 4 attempts before it behaved how I felt it should.

At this point being able to copy something, add and insert more channels or reassign an actually DMX number seems not possible.

Personally I think a section in the manual or a Colin video giving some guidance, some proper tuition on using the builder is needed, it seems a dark art. I say this as currently I find the library quite bad, simple stuff, zooms inverted, a clay paky fixture with 4 tilt channels and daft stuff, thats very easy to fix, but a better understand of real world values seems something to know about.
  • Can I actually get a continuous parameter on anything? I can do this with colour, but never managed it on "everything"

+1 on sorted alphabetically.

A VL4000 is not enough Marc, I get more colour problems that anything else, so I have a profile fixture and wash fixture that I program with that has CMY, 3 colour wheels, amber and white channels etc along with 3 rotating gobo wheels. I think they both where made to cover anything I had come across in the past 2 years.

I am interested in your thoughts on the following as I thought it rather long winded and wondered if I was getting it wrong. Arrived at the gig which s about far up north in the UK as you can go and perhaps limited in what they have. As suspected a couple of LED par can things not in the library cropped up. Same problem for the event console and dealt with in a few minutes, I took a while longer.

Have built line by line and patched the fixture to find out that it needed to be edited a bit, I found that having to edit (copy) that fixture and re-patch it a bit of a chore, one of the par cans certainly had a nice config of channels placed randomly and took 4 attempts before it behaved how I felt it should.

At this point being able to copy something, add and insert more channels or reassign an actually DMX number seems not possible.

Personally I think a section in the manual or a Colin video giving some guidance, some proper tuition on using the builder is needed, it seems a dark art. I say this as currently I find the library quite bad, simple stuff, zooms inverted, a clay paky fixture with 4 tilt channels and daft stuff, thats very easy to fix, but a better understand of real world values seems something to know about.
Children
No Data