FULL BOAR 4 and SMPTE 30 problems

Hi to everyone
I'm on tour with a Full Boar 4 (latest release) and a Catalyst V.5 on a new MacPro. I've programmed a show on a single cue list which is triggered by SMPTE 30 signal. I' using the built-in SMPTE input. On stage there are two mac book pro (a MAIN and a SPARE connected to a switch) that send audio sequences and timecode to lights (GM2 system) and video (FullBoar4) and a teleprompter system. Well, everything it's ok during the rehearsals, when we use the only MAIN to send audio sequences. When we connect the SPARE, my timecode, and only my timecode sometimes doesn't start or starts with a delay or with some impossible count like ( -8:-2:-30:-17 ) ( 60:85:30:05 ) . This is a big problem 'cause I've got several video built in sync with the songs. We have tested everything, cables (two XLR, a main and a spare) signal, timecode volume (O db), but nothing to do.
The only solution for now, is that we don't connect the SPARE during the show, but this is not a correct solution.
Next tuesday I'll try with a USB widget and I hope I can solve.

Is there anyone that can give me any suggestion to understand or solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

Paco

drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DHiHft7WTdVlV6eGxhSHJBbW8/view?usp=sharing
Parents
  • Is it the EXACT same file played back from Main and Spare? My guess is backup is a different frame rate and not SMPTE 30. Have you tried switching the Main and Backup cables? Do you get the same results? That would point to the source of
    Have you tried loading the file from Main on to backup and playing over the Main cables? (Could be an audio card)

Do the other devices chase Backup fine? That would be surprising if so. How do you (and the other TC chasing devices) switch between Manual and Backup? Physically unplugging and pluging cables or using a A/B switch?

Is one set as non drop and one Drop-frame?

Try having them both play and then plug in a powered speaker (like an anchor), right at the end of the line, right before the board and just go back and forth and listen to the 2 signals. Sometimes you can suss out a volume level difference, or an obvious distortion in the audio.

Let me know what you figure out, I'd be interested to follow this.

Scott
  • Is it the EXACT same file played back from Main and Spare? My guess is backup is a different frame rate and not SMPTE 30. Have you tried switching the Main and Backup cables? Do you get the same results? That would point to the source of
    Have you tried loading the file from Main on to backup and playing over the Main cables? (Could be an audio card)

Do the other devices chase Backup fine? That would be surprising if so. How do you (and the other TC chasing devices) switch between Manual and Backup? Physically unplugging and pluging cables or using a A/B switch?

Is one set as non drop and one Drop-frame?

Try having them both play and then plug in a powered speaker (like an anchor), right at the end of the line, right before the board and just go back and forth and listen to the 2 signals. Sometimes you can suss out a volume level difference, or an obvious distortion in the audio.

Let me know what you figure out, I'd be interested to follow this.

Scott
Children
No Data