Artnet on Nanohog

Hi,
We have purchased some lighting fixtures (Chavuet Epix Bars and the Chavuet Epix drive 642) and have no idea on how to get them to work with the road hog. these fixtures are not in the fixture schedule and i am not sure if they need to be, but we have been trying to wire them up using a Ethernet cable running from the computer to the epix drive, where the fixtures are connected. i have watched the Hog4 tutorial on the youtube channel and we have tried to do the same thing, but each time we change the IP address, it goes back to the default and will not keep what we change after applying it and exiting out. What is going on and how can we get these fixtures to work with the NanoHog4. we are using Hog4pc with the Nanohog, and need help with art net. the fixtures only have inputs for ethernet cables and don't have dmx inputs. Can someone guide us in the right direction on what to do to get these working. we need them up and running by Easter 2016. THANKS
  • lightjams.com/artnet.html Thanks. That helps out alot. I checked prices and they are way beyond our current budget for a dp8000. On the other hand, could we use this software and send artnet through this software. It says that it has 16 artnet universes in total output. Could we install this on a seperate computer for the channel space and use the universes in the program to control pixel mapping and artnet with hog4pc and the Nano board?
  • Yes this would be possible. Thats what others suggested before (external Mediaserver like Media/LED Master from Arkaos)
    HOG PC can handle 8 universes without extra DPs, to output you need the matching numbers of widgets. Output on Artnet is always the same amount of widget-outputs and the outputs are only mirrored to Artnet.
    You might have a look at gearsource or so for a used DP8K.
    For Lightjam you would need an extra computer as well, but still cheaper than a DP8K.
  • Hi,
    When it's cheaper to buy another computer + custom s/w
    than to use the branded hardware it might be time to assess the pricing and setup of Hog PC /DP8000.

Seems odd that someone requiring so few additional artnet universes has to spend so much.
    It's taken 15 years to get 04 x universes of artnet (when you buy a widget) I suppose another 15 years to get 08 universes?
    The discussion will roll on and on.
    The user is only trying to patch 08 fixtures so HE can either hope users spend more or realise users may go elsewhere where you can get 64 universes for free.
    Tricky times.
  • To add I'm sure plenty of people would buy a dongle that would open artnet universes on Hog PC.
    Not everyone needs or wants more hardware when all of this is software being locked/unlocked to gain access to more connectivity or control.
  • That's what i think too. The dp8000 is listed new for $8000. If we go with a new computer and the needed software it looks like less than $1000 and get the same 16 artnet universes. Pixel mapping is the future in lighting and thete should be a new way to use these fixtures without eating through somany channels.
  • Hi,
    There is a very useful pixelmapper within Hog4 and the channel count of the fixtures won't change but
    what might could change is the way artnet is unlocked or made available.
    As I said you might pay $1000 to have the ability of controlling extra universes but you won't/can't pay $8000 for a new DP.
  • 8000$ is list price (I dont know any person who pays a list price)... look for used ones... I just bought one for under 2000€
    A dongle system would be good to have.
  • We have purchased Arkaos mediamaster and are able to fully control each pixel through video files. how can we trigger the videos from the hog4 to control the fixtures. i am refering back to a previous comment on this:
    (You could use a media server…trigger the video files on the media server and have the server send out the art net. Media servers aren't cheap though. Chauvet shows Arkaos Media Master Express software…which runs around $700-800. If you're just triggering Arkaos, you need to patch the Arkaos layers, masters, etc. (you'd have to look at the documentation)…and not patching the Bars themselves. )

• Having never used Arkaos, but having understanding of media servers, this is how I understand your setup would work (Experts please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm explaining it VERY high level since I want to make sure your understanding of the setup is the same as what the users are suggesting to you.

-Patch the lights in Arkaos. Arkaos will be the device spitting out the 'DMX' or Art-net to the lights. Most likely patched via IP addresses. I don't believe these Chauvet lights would let you daisy chain the Ethernet, most likely need ethernet switches and home run to each light.
    -The videos will also be loaded into Arkoas.
    -In Hog PC patch Arkoas as a fixture(s). Might be multiple 'fixtures', depending on the profile and how many 'layers' you are using. I imagine Hog and Arkoas are connected via Artnet as well? Perhaps Arkoas also has Dmx in, don't know for certain.
    -You will control ARkoas video playback from Hog. Arkoas drives the lights.
    You would not be using the pixel mapping from HogPC