Full Boar Full Install stuck on 'Detect and mount CD-ROM'

Hi,
I try to do a Full Install on a Full Boar 4 console, but everytime the installation stops with on screen 'Detect and mount CD-ROM' and nothing happens anymore. This appears right after i pressed Enter (Hog4 installation. Press Enter to begin).

I tried 7 different usb drives from different brands and capacitys, created with Linux Live USB creator (on different windows machines) as discribed in the full install instructions.
Also tried different software files, different usb ports, with and without usb keyboard connected.
No other devices are connected to the console.

Please let me know if there is anything more i can try.
Thanks.
  • Wow! Kernel panics are due mostly to some kind of hardware failure. In this case it looks to be USB hub (xhci) however that may be what was last running. The possible failures are the USB controller, memory, or hard drive.

Yes you can try any compatible SATA hard drive; it doesn't have to be SSD. That would eliminate HD. Have you been using the same USB port on the Full Boar in these attemps? If so, try a different one. I believe the one on the top is connected to a different USB controller than the ones on the back.

Again, it is hard to suspect HD or memory since it works otherwise. Can you browse the USB stick you are using from Launcher on this Full Boar?

Thanks,
    donald
  • Thank you for taking this serious.
    Allright, I'm seeing the kernel panic screen only when i boot from the Unetbootin stick, and not every time.
    An other hard drive makes no difference.

I tried it with different sticks again, each every time in an other usb port, on the top and the four on the back. No difference.

If i start the console normal, it runs happy and i can browse the usb stick, seeing all files and folders.

If i connect a playback wing on the usb ports at the back it works as normal (not on the usb port at the top).

If i boot with the Linux Live stick, just before the 'Detect and mount CD-Rom' screen, there is some text on screen, but so fast it is unreadable. I filmed it and played it back in slow motion. I can't read everything, but i could see this text on screen:
    [ 1.430722] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
    Starting system log daemon: syslogd, klogd.

Then: Trying to enable the frame buffer...
    Then: some very fast text i can't read and then 'Detect and mount CD-Rom' with very short on the same screen:
    Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM drives
    Detecting hardware, please wait...
    Starting PC card services...

What can i do next?

• It looks like there is a problem with USB on the motherboard. Nothing else seems plausible and you have two kinds of failure related to USB. ( Booting AND unable to connect the wing to the top USB port. )

You need to contact support and see what your options are. Refer them to this post and they can see our discussion.

Sorry we can't solve your problem here.

donald
  • Maybe this will help someone out in the future:
    I contacted my supplier, Arcus Lighting (Germany) and Andre Krause helped me out.

Two of the internal USB connectors on the motherboard causing a fault when power is drawn from them.

By default the SMPTE/Midi widget and top usb port were connected to them.
    The SMPTE/Midi widget needs power from the usb port. The other internal usb devices have their own power feed directly from the psu. I swapped the usb connections so now the SMPTE/Midi widget is connected to one of the 'good' usb ports and the top usb port and dmx widget are connected to the 'bad' usb ports.

Although the console still have two internal 'bad' usb ports, everything is working fine now and a full system restore is no problem anymore.