Hedgehog 4 boots to BusyBox shell

Hi,
Anyone know why the Hedgehog 4 boots to a BusyBox shell prompt (initramfs) if you try to start with a USB flash drive plugged in? I have a 250Gb SSD drive that I was going to use to save show files on (so they don't get wiped out if I do a full OS upgrade), but no luck so far. I dropped into the BIOS setup and made the USB ports last on the list, but it still does the same. Tries to start... Get the "HES" logo > Get "Starting Console" with the circle-4 logo > drops to a BusyBox Shell prompt. If I pull the flash drive it starts up just fine. I thought for sure moving the USB boot option to last in line would do it, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Oh, and let me be the first to suggest "Pull the flash drive when you boot dummy". That's not a viable option. I'm in a high school performing arts center, so I have a lot of student techs working this console. I don't want to remind them that there's a 250Gb SSD drive waiting to be stolen. Yeah, it's wire tied to the back of the console, but that's easy enough to get around.
Parents
  • Hi Maegan. I was going to post some screencaps for you, but searching the web I found that it looks like this BusyBox shell thing is a known issue with this particular drive. So, I tried a smaller flash drive I had laying around, and it booted fine. As it did with the other 6 flash / external SSD drives I tried. So, since this is a known issue with this specific SSD, I'm going to say Thank you for your help, and you can consider this resolved since it's not an issue with the console.

I'll post back any info I find that might be helpful to others, but for now if you have a list of hardware that's incompatible with the HedgeHog 4, you can add the Sandisk Extreme SSD line of external drives. It looks like you're safe to include all models because my search results list 2 or 3 different size drive with the issue, not just the 250Gb model I purchased.

Thanks again for the help with this issue!
  • Hi Maegan. I was going to post some screencaps for you, but searching the web I found that it looks like this BusyBox shell thing is a known issue with this particular drive. So, I tried a smaller flash drive I had laying around, and it booted fine. As it did with the other 6 flash / external SSD drives I tried. So, since this is a known issue with this specific SSD, I'm going to say Thank you for your help, and you can consider this resolved since it's not an issue with the console.

I'll post back any info I find that might be helpful to others, but for now if you have a list of hardware that's incompatible with the HedgeHog 4, you can add the Sandisk Extreme SSD line of external drives. It looks like you're safe to include all models because my search results list 2 or 3 different size drive with the issue, not just the 250Gb model I purchased.

Thanks again for the help with this issue!
Children
No Data