Midi faders and encoders

Hello! I’m looking to add something like an akai apc40 to a pc rig for control over midi. To test some of this, I fired up my novation impulse 49 which has some faders and some infinite spin knobs I thought would be good for controlling the encoders. Well, I never got the faders to work at all and the knobs I could make talk to the hog encoder wheels, but only a small range. I did have to change the mode from7 bit absolute to 7 but relative but it was only changing part of the intensity encoders value range. 0 on the midi knob wasn’t 0% on hog and 127 on the knob wasn’t 100% on hog. What am I missing? Do I have to have something bomes midi translator or is there something I’m doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Hi! is there a list on wich midicontrollers to use?

i am starting to get real depressive with this. one week ago i was so stoked to get to connect capture and hog4. since then i have been struggling with midi. i have the same issue as the OP.

if i compare this to any music program, where midi is a shure thing(and i dont have to pay extra 500bucks for it to "work") the midi "unlock" in hog4 pc is a joke.

at first i thaugt it will be osc anyhow because musson theatrical still has that old unlocksheet online, where u only get MIDI when using the unlockedNomad version. but then i found out there is a new one. but osc ond visualisation on one machine is not working anyway.

this is all so cryptic and complicated.

• Hello,

Section 21.2.2 of the Help Manual should get you on the right track once you have a Midi controller you like. I have tested a few midi controllers, my favorite is the Akai Professional APC40 MKII because it has the capability to have buttons, encoders, and faders. Any USB midi device should work, I've used a Midi keyboard before.

For a device to have functioning encoders it will need to repeat 0 at the minimum and 127 at the maximum and not all midi devices with knobs do this

• hey gabbi,

thank you for your reply!

i read the manual like a hundred times over the years Smiley especially section 21.2.2 in the last view weeks.

the features of relative mode made no actual sense to, me i got to admit.

i thaught endless knob is endless knob. so jokes on me.

i ordered the akai mpk mini mk3...hope this will work!

i couldn´t figure out how to call this feature properly, so i just googled "real endless knob" haha.

whatever, learned a valuable lesson!

sorry for beeing all snappy.

• Hi Christo, 

I have not tried the mini mk3 but I hope it suits your needs. The repeating 0 at the minimum and 127 at the maximum is key for nobs.

If I googled correctly and you've gotten this one: 

If the knobs do repeat the 0 and 127 then they need to be in Mode 7-bit relative to be encoders. If you want them to be faders they would need to be in 7-bit Absolute. The rest of the buttons I assume will come in as notes and then can be mapped to front panel buttons.

Don't forget to assign to device after creating the map with learn mode (I forget that sometimes and then nothing works)

Also, apologies for not seeing your other forums post, starting in 3.14.0 you do not need the Nomad Dongle to unlock MIDI you would however need the dongle to output DMX, Art-Net, or sACN.

Please do not hesitate to keep reaching out and I will do my best to assist!

• hi!

Yes, this is the one.

i am sorry i already replyed to the Question i started!

kind regards,

chris

Reply Children
No Data