AutoPalletes For Multi Intensity Fixtures

Hi,

I am not sure if this was ever an official request.

I have a request fore All fixtures that are Multi-Intensity Parameter Fixtures that have Sub-Intensities, to have the Auto-Palette function Create a Per Type Direct 0% Palette and a Global Direct 100% Palette 100% for each globe.

This is mainly for the Movie Fixtures. This should apply to All Multi-Intensity Parameter Fixtures under the categories: Movie Lights, Kino Flos, LumaPanels.

For Space Lights, Chicken Coops, Far Cycs, Image 80s + more

For every new job, we have to create Intensity palettes for every globe of a light, on and off. Sometimes it is just 4 globes, sometimes 14.

A Space Light has 6 globes. We have to record a palettes that is 100% and 0% for each one for each sub-intensity. This is time intensive and taxing for the programmer for every new show we start. Sometime 3 times in one week for commercials.

This should be easy enough since the ability to create auto-palettes is already a function. IT would be great to add to the next build of 3.

Would be great for the next Hog3 build as well.

The more people that voice their approval, the more likely it is to happen.

-Ben
  • [QUOTE=rosswill;63490] I think a lot of these issues will be resolved with the implementation of “meta fixtures” (fixtures that belong to a parent group) which is something I have discussed with the developers. Once there is functionality to have fixtures 1.1 thru 1.14 attached to fixture 1

I like the idea of the meta-fixture, but I don't think it should be implemented as decimal fixtures. I think it should be a "master fixture" type assigned in Patch that has a unique fixture number.

The problem with decimal fixtures is that is makes "Thru" syntax unusable. MA2 has this "feature" and it is a real PITA when you want to select just the second cell of a unit across a range.

For example the DLV profile on that desk is done this way.....so if you want to select all the GFX layer-1 across a range of units you have to type something like "101.3 + 102.3 + 103.3 + 104.3 + 105.3....etc.....etc"
    Same problem goes for LED batten fixtures, etc, etc....

If this is implemented in H4, then there needs to be a logical way to use Thru syntax to select across a range.
  • Funny isn’t it how our views all differ. For me decimal is logical. I don’t know the MA but I agree with Marty 100% that fixture selection with thru etc needs to be both simple and logical. This is something the Hog does well already and should not change.

If decimals were implemented I would imagine something like:
    "1 thru 20" could select the parent fixtures. "Fixture 1 thru 20" could select the parent and child fixtures and "1.1 thru 20.1" could select just the child. There's probably a better key than the fixture key but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

Similarly you could say that "2.1 next" selects 2.3 whilst "fixture 2.1 next" selects 3.1

I like decimals for a number of reasons. Firstly as they are immediately obvious when looking at a show or patch as to where they belong. If you step into an unfamiliar rig you don’t waste time trying to figure out someone’s complicated numbering system. They can easily follow the same colour coding as the parent fixture (when implemented) and easily be expanded or collapsed in various views without breaking this logic. Furthermore the simple action of labelling a fixture as a point fixture would be all it takes to add it as a child to a parent fixture so there's no need to differentiate at library level between them and we won't be running back and forth with endless library requests to make this work.

It also allows for all kinds of show specific hybrid setups such as the ones I stumble across. Let’s say you have a moving light focused onto a moving mirror. You can make them belong to each other by simply giving the mirror a point name, even though it may already be a multi patch point fixture. It also allows for complex fixtures with grandchild attributes such as 2.1.1.

I’m sure there are other ways to achieve this but this is the one that makes most sense to me, or at least I think it is.

Regards

Ross
  • And here we are, three years later and still no autopalette for multi-intensity fixtures. (And I too have made this request face to face with reps from HES at LDI.)