TouchOSC and MIDI

Enableing the TouchOSC and midi fader movements on the hog4pc if any hardware is connected.

Related thread: forums.highend.com/showthread.php?p=63722#post63722
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;64028]I would seriously doubt that.
    I personally think you should have physical faders and encoders attached via a wing or wings to "unlock" that feature via OSC. Not just a DMX widget.
    So a Nano wing might get you control of both.
    A Playback wing might only get you control of faders, and a programming wing might only get you control of encoders (unless you have both wings....then you might get both).

If you need to go to backup solution.....the last thing you're going to be worried about is what you can or cannot do via OSC!

Taken out of context.

I'm was thinking easiest for HES to program, but if that's how they want to program it, let them knock their selves out. They would have to look back at every wing they've ever made though and have to say weather or not it has encoders or faders vs. just if it has hardware it's a console

The "as a backup console" was just a throw in of course your not worried about OSC when your show's on fire.

Also I could see sitting on the bus with a laptop and an IPad instead of a Nano or even wings.
  • Understood.
    It should be fairly easy to differentiate what is connected or not, since each type of wing uses its' own driver.
    Your iPad with laptop example is exactly what they should be protecting against...users controlling hardware that isn't actually present.....the software is already free....so no cheap/free hardware shortcuts.
    If you've got a laptop with a wing, then you're all good to go with your tablet device on the bus.....you probably wouldn't want to do any kind of significant work in this manner without the tactility of a wing anyway.
  • I agree with this idea 100%. It would be fantastic to be able to purchase a Nano Wing for club installs, that could then be paired up with an iPad remote. Certain competitors already do this, they seem to be making money just fine.
  • I appreciate you want to stop people setting up a cheap Hog4 system but using the iPad as a programing wing with a laptop when updating shows in hotel rooms, on bus's or planes etc. would be very nice, very nice indeed.

Maybe if there was some way of limiting output to a visuliser only.

B
  • [QUOTE=Benwin;64182]I appreciate you want to stop people setting up a cheap Hog4 system but using the iPad as a programing wing with a laptop when updating shows in hotel rooms, on bus's or planes etc. would be very nice, very nice indeed.

Maybe if there was some way of limiting output to a visuliser only.

B
    My thoughts exactly.....no one wants to drag the console into an already small space!
  • [QUOTE=michandrz;64183]...no one wants to drag the console into an already small space!

Exactly the type of situation to use a Nano Wing IMHO.
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;64185]Exactly the type of situation to use a Nano Wing IMHO.

26.7” (678.18mm) wide by 13.76” (349.52mm) deep by 3.54” (89.85mm) high
    Weight: 18.1 lbs (8.21 kg)

Plus my laptop 17.5", plus the flight case that holds that thing vs:

Height:9.50 inches (241.2 mm)Width:7.31 inches (185.7 mm)Depth:0.34 inch (8.8 mm)
    Weight:1.35 pounds (613 g) (Wi‑Fi + 3G model)Weight:1.34 pounds (607 g) (Wi‑Fi + 3G for Verizon model)plus my laptop 17.5"

Hm.....i seem to see a vast difference in weight, cost, functionality, and size, just saying.

• Your iPad with laptop example is exactly what they should be protecting against...users controlling hardware that isn't actually present.....the software is already free....so no cheap/free hardware shortcuts.

or it's the epitome for the guy who is editing his show in the back corner of the bus, because of a mistake that happened tonight. while the everyone else is sound asleep enroute to the next venue..
  • Personally I don't think HES needs to be concerned about ppl building a cheap hog with an interface from touch osc as its not really consistent enough via wireless to do any serious cue triggering or fading. Since the I devices and most of the android devices don't have a wired network card, then they are limited to wireless.

Personally a dedicated HPC tower and wings is the most budget friendly system that I would ever run a hog server on. I won't even run the primary server or a virtual DP on a laptop.

With that being said, if someone wants to risk running a show off of an HPC system with only an IPad and Touch OSC as their primary hard UI, then that's their problem. IMHO, anyone serious enough to bring their controller on a show, will at a minimum bring a dedicated HPC system with wings and touchscreens.

By the way, anyone wanna buy my FB3 so I can finally get a FB4?

;)
  • Personally I don't think HES needs to be concerned about ppl building a cheap hog with an interface from touch osc as its not really consistent enough via wireless to do any serious cue triggering or fading. Since the I devices and most of the android devices don't have a wired network card, then they are limited to wireless.

Personally a dedicated HPC tower and wings is the most budget friendly system that I would ever run a hog server on. I won't even run the primary server or a virtual DP on a laptop.

With that being said, if someone wants to risk running a show off of an HPC system with only an IPad and Touch OSC as their primary hard UI, then that's their problem. IMHO, anyone serious enough to bring their controller on a show, will at a minimum bring a dedicated HPC system with wings and touchscreens.

By the way, anyone wanna buy my FB3 so I can finally get a FB4?

;)