Unlock The Universe Count H4PC

Another thread in this forum made me think about this...

Considering that H4PC can be scaled on the user end with the most recent hardware. Would it be possible for you guys over at HES to consider unlocking the internal available universes, being only dependent on the widgets attached?

I am really curious if the latest Hardware can drive much more than what we have access to.

JB
Parents
  • I appreciate all the replies and input.

I still think it might be a great idea...

;)

If you wanted failover for both systems, one based off the DP's and then One based on the MotherShip (Remember tounge in cheek as I already hate that name)... for lets say 50 Lines... You would need...

2 x Motherships(1 failover and 1 primary (Which only uses 2 IP's)), 2 switches (1 Artnet and 1 Hognet) and 4 cat5 jumpers (from Motherships to switches)... lets just leave the consoles out of the equation for now, since both situations will be desk to hognet switch with one cat5 jumper ..

8 x DP's (4 primary and 4 failover (Which now uses 8 seperate IP's)), 2 switches (1 Artnet and 1 Hognet) and now 16 cat5 jumpers (from DP's to switches)...

With the Mothership idea, we have 8 points of failure.... with 2 IP's

With The DP's we now have 26 points of failure.... with 8 IP's

Don't get me wrong.. I am not in any way shape or form saying that DP's are a bad idea... Hell.. Everyone uses the idea of the DMX processor limited to around 8-16 lines of artnet, whether it's HES, Vari-Lite, MA, ETC... etc. But I think they limited themselves, since at the time of design, the hardware was not fast enough to drive more Lines reliably..

JB
  • I appreciate all the replies and input.

I still think it might be a great idea...

;)

If you wanted failover for both systems, one based off the DP's and then One based on the MotherShip (Remember tounge in cheek as I already hate that name)... for lets say 50 Lines... You would need...

2 x Motherships(1 failover and 1 primary (Which only uses 2 IP's)), 2 switches (1 Artnet and 1 Hognet) and 4 cat5 jumpers (from Motherships to switches)... lets just leave the consoles out of the equation for now, since both situations will be desk to hognet switch with one cat5 jumper ..

8 x DP's (4 primary and 4 failover (Which now uses 8 seperate IP's)), 2 switches (1 Artnet and 1 Hognet) and now 16 cat5 jumpers (from DP's to switches)...

With the Mothership idea, we have 8 points of failure.... with 2 IP's

With The DP's we now have 26 points of failure.... with 8 IP's

Don't get me wrong.. I am not in any way shape or form saying that DP's are a bad idea... Hell.. Everyone uses the idea of the DMX processor limited to around 8-16 lines of artnet, whether it's HES, Vari-Lite, MA, ETC... etc. But I think they limited themselves, since at the time of design, the hardware was not fast enough to drive more Lines reliably..

JB
Children
No Data