Replacing color palettes

I would really like some way to "batch" replace color palettes in one step. Here is my thought:

Let's assume we start with 60 color palettes and they are laid out in the directory as colors 1-60. I then make duplicates of those color palettes and place them at 101-160. I make another set of duplicates at 201-260. I do all of my programming with palettes 1-60. I make changes (for whatever reason) to colors 201-260. If I need to update my master color palettes then I select colors 201-260 and MOVE them to 1-60. At this point I press REPLACE when asked. Now I have updated color palettes. The problem is REPLACE is not an option currently.

Here is why I would like this feature and how I would use it:

In the above example 101-160 is always a copy of the colors based on real world parameters and always available for reverting to nominal as it were. Colors 201-260 would be my pre-viz colors as I find that the color representations are only close and always require touch ups, sometimes major touch ups from what the computer thinks a light produces and what a light actually produces. For those who do a lot of outdoor shows in the transition hours, colors 301-360 could be your "daylight" colors. If you are starting in daylight, you start with the more pastel "daylight" palette selection and when it gets dark enough, perform a palette swap. Colors 401-460 could be colors tweaked for cameras.

Assuming one were starting with a personalized generic show file, this would be a huge time saver. Personally, if I never had to make another color palette for a fixture I use on a regular basis, I would be thrilled. But I am constantly going from pre-viz to reality and occasionally back and forth multiple times. I either have to imagine the correct color in pre-viz or perform palettes updates until I cannot see straight.
Parents
  • The way I do operations like this is with Keystroke Macros.
    Except I do it for Position palettes when using moving trusses.
    I always have one set of Palettes called "Actual" for whatever position the trusses are in presently.
    All my show cues are written in reference to the "Actual" palettes.
    Then I have one set of additional palettes for each position the trusses are programmed to be in.
    Next I write Keystroke Macros to Merge or Record/Replace the info from the new truss position as it moves into the "actual" palettes. (And since I am updating positions live I also enable "Fade Changes" in the Programmer and set a 2 sec fade time for Position so the fixtures don't "snap" as they update).
    It takes a bit to Program initially depending on the number of palettes (usually about 20 in my case).
    Might be a good solution for your scenario as well.
    Hope this helps. :)
  • The way I do operations like this is with Keystroke Macros.
    Except I do it for Position palettes when using moving trusses.
    I always have one set of Palettes called "Actual" for whatever position the trusses are in presently.
    All my show cues are written in reference to the "Actual" palettes.
    Then I have one set of additional palettes for each position the trusses are programmed to be in.
    Next I write Keystroke Macros to Merge or Record/Replace the info from the new truss position as it moves into the "actual" palettes. (And since I am updating positions live I also enable "Fade Changes" in the Programmer and set a 2 sec fade time for Position so the fixtures don't "snap" as they update).
    It takes a bit to Program initially depending on the number of palettes (usually about 20 in my case).
    Might be a good solution for your scenario as well.
    Hope this helps. :)
Children
No Data