Macro syntax

I am new here and this may have been covered. If so, I apologize.

I would like for comment macro syntax to be more in line with the rest if the system syntax. For example:

If I want to "GO" multiple, non-sequential virtual lists, it seems like the syntax should be GL 41 + 47 as opposed to GL 41 , 47. That comma is just not intuitive and requires fumbling about on a qwerty keyboard for a command that should be almost instantaneous.

Likewise, if I want to automate a fader, it seems to me that the syntax should be FM 10 / 0 TIME 6 as opposed to FM 10 / 0 t 6. Again, my fingers and brain know where the time key is located, but I have to stop and look for the T key and, frankly remember that T is the command that automated a fader over time.
Parents
  • [QUOTE=MLorenz;72195]The macro commands are there since HOG 3.
    So changing them now would cause even more confusion for all programmers who are used to that syntax since many years

I do understand that, however, that is part of the reason for posts like this. Part of the change from the Hog II OS to the Hog III was implementing consistency of syntax. I am simply saying, in keeping with that mind set, a comma makes no sense when entering values in a comment macro as pretty much any other instance, when one is entering multiple, but non consecutive numbers, the "+" sign is used. I generally do not bother with the "," key at all and simply reselect comment macro as I find it faster so I end up with GL41: GL47 and on and on which can look like a mess and often make it difficult to find cuelists that need to be released. It seems to me that "+" would be the correct syntax for the OS and would be faster as well. Since that would be the intuitive way to enter data, I doubt that would be much of a hardship to programmers.

As to automated faders, that is a fairly new piece of functionality. Again, fiddling about for "t" on a keyboard is tedious and non-intuitive, especially when there is a dedicated TIME key n the desk and the bit of information that one is wanting to enter is indeed time.

Regardless, I am just throwing that out there.
  • [QUOTE=MLorenz;72195]The macro commands are there since HOG 3.
    So changing them now would cause even more confusion for all programmers who are used to that syntax since many years

I do understand that, however, that is part of the reason for posts like this. Part of the change from the Hog II OS to the Hog III was implementing consistency of syntax. I am simply saying, in keeping with that mind set, a comma makes no sense when entering values in a comment macro as pretty much any other instance, when one is entering multiple, but non consecutive numbers, the "+" sign is used. I generally do not bother with the "," key at all and simply reselect comment macro as I find it faster so I end up with GL41: GL47 and on and on which can look like a mess and often make it difficult to find cuelists that need to be released. It seems to me that "+" would be the correct syntax for the OS and would be faster as well. Since that would be the intuitive way to enter data, I doubt that would be much of a hardship to programmers.

As to automated faders, that is a fairly new piece of functionality. Again, fiddling about for "t" on a keyboard is tedious and non-intuitive, especially when there is a dedicated TIME key n the desk and the bit of information that one is wanting to enter is indeed time.

Regardless, I am just throwing that out there.
Children
No Data