More use of the Move command

Hello,

I would like to see the Move command have the same functionality as Copy. At present it is rather limited.

For example, I can move a cue, but only within the same list. I'd like to be able to move a cue from one list to another please.

Far more important to me though is this...

I'd like to be able to apply Fixture and Kind Masks to the Move command, just like with Copy.

For example, I decided I want fixtures 5>10 to fade out in cue 5, rather than cue 4. So...

Cue 4 Fixture 5>10 Intensity Move Cue 5. It would save so much time having to open editors and knock out parameters.

Thoughts on this anyone?
  • it would be my favorite new feature.... I don't know how often I press copy -> knocked out....
  • +1
    Great idea!!!
    Colin, write an email.... You know the people ;-)
  • Hi Marc, will do.

In terms of knockout vs default values, I was definitely intending knockout, so in terms of tracking, the fixtures would be at their tracked through values, although the source cue would no longer hold any information for the fixtures or parameters moved.
  • [QUOTE=Firewood1;74122]
    In terms of knockout vs default values, I was definitely intending knockout, so in terms of tracking, the fixtures would be at their tracked through values, although the source cue would no longer hold any information for the fixtures or parameters moved.

[QUOTE=sanderdegraaf;74113] Record cue 1 wich contains information for fixture 101/104/107 or group 11. Just copy the cue and move the programming to the next fixture/Group.
    Syntax would be:
    Cue 1 copy Cue 2
    Cue 2 Fixture Group 11 Move Fixture Group 12
    Group 12 will contain fixtures 102/105/108 for example.

Greetz

Ok... Let's take a closer look. Anyone see a problem here?
    If the source is knocked out (=values removed) they get them from cue 1.
    So, nothing is moved. Things just get copied.
    In this case values have to go to default (recorded as defaults) in the source to get expected result.

I'm also wondering why are you using editor/spreadsheet to remove values?
    Merge with remove is much faster and you have control of what would happen in the next cue.

I agree, that on programmer and editor level move could be handy for copying and removing/knocking out the source at the same time.
    In editor that can be achieved with cut and paste.
    Pig+Delete has been suggested for Cut.

This also makes me think. What if the values you want to move are tracked values?

[QUOTE=sanderdegraaf;74113]
    Another thing that would be nice is move programming in a whole list or just a part to another fixture. Syntax example:
    List 12 Cue 14 thru 24 Fixture 401 Move Fixture 403

I agree, it would be handy. Especially, because the range can have different values and achieving this via copying is a hard task.
    But, it also makes me ask. What if the fixture 401 gets its values from cue 13 or 12?
  • Surely the same as Copy. Move (state) to include tracked values.
  • Yes, Colin.
    The thing that I'm trying to point out is that we might need options for handling the source.
    If we move from tracked there's nothing to remove. Should we go to defaults?
    Also, whatever happens to the source should we have an option to decide how the modifying of source affects the following cues? Are things tracked forward or done cue only.

And Colin + others, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this is a bad idea. I'm just trying to imagine how this would work in reality.
  • Firstly, I should point out, whilst I would LOVE to see this implemented... I think there are more pressing features we all want/need, so i'm not suggesting for a minute this be done top priority.

Sami, I would say if you're moving something from a cue the value doesn't exist in, then obviously nothing would happen unless the option of State was selected. If State is selected, then I would still expect nothing to happen to the source, as it's only picking it up as a tracked value. This is just the same as with Copy. Unless State is selected, a tracked value will not be copied.

Track forwards or not could still be used, although personally if I wanted that scenario then I probably wouldn't be using Move in the way i'm suggesting anyway.
  • [QUOTE=Firewood1;74128]
    Sami, I would say if you're moving something from a cue the value doesn't exist in, then obviously nothing would happen unless the option of State was selected. If State is selected, then I would still expect nothing to happen to the source, as it's only picking it up as a tracked value. This is just the same as with Copy. Unless State is selected, a tracked value will not be copied.

Just checking there is no misunderstanding.
    Do you mean when Move (with State) is used to a source which is a tracked value, it would be the same as using Copy?
  • Yes, in that scenario, it would be the same result.

I'm far more interested in using Move in cues where I actually have values to move.