Ability To Access Individual Dim Circuits When Multipatched

This request kinda goes back to old school, but it would be helpful if the H4 user had the ability to select individual dimmer circuits in the programmer when multiple dimmers/DMX addresses have been patched to a single User ID/Desk Channel.

Right now I am patching a show for an LD, who likes her show patched with multiple dim circuits per channel and I would like the ability to both, give her what she wants as well as access a single dimmer within a channel/UserID if needed.

Is this request too far back?

:)

JB
  • [QUOTE=Leggy;74428]When patching Atomic Colors the two fixture parts don't have to be consecutive.
    Can we create fixtures like that in the fixture builder?

I think, we are limited to two patch points, intensity and fixture.
  • Jeff, I"m not saying she is doing wrong. Actually, as a lighting designer I'm pretty interested in why she wants to handle channels like that. There has to be a good explanation.

This also makes me wonder... Has anybody used a system with ETC dimmer doubling?
  • dimmer doubling is actually pretty simple,
    The first half of the dimmer shows up at the correct address.
    Such as if you have the rack addressed at #1, the first dimmer 1A, will respond at 1.
    The 2nd dimmer, 1B will respond at 257.
  • It's pretty typical for early trained theatrical lighting designers to group dimmer circuits into channels. Before intelligent consoles being so common, multiple dim circuits were hard patched in the dimmer racks patch bay. Since I can do the same in a soft patch in the console, I figured I would save the ME the trouble of doing it in the hard patch (Patch bay).

I know there are consoles that can access both channel assignments, Dim circuits and Fixture #s seperately. One old desk is the expression, a newer desk would be the MA.

Strike out my statement about the expression and the MA, as I don't think you can save any programming via a dimmer/channel/DMX check.
  • [QUOTE=Woodj32177;74450]dimmer doubling is actually pretty simple,
    The first half of the dimmer shows up at the correct address.
    Such as if you have the rack addressed at #1, the first dimmer 1A, will respond at 1.
    The 2nd dimmer, 1B will respond at 257.

Thanks, for the info. Nice to know, if I ever have to work with something like that. Though, I guess that kind of system doesn't exist in Europe. To my understanding it's possible only in 120V 60Hz systems.