Youngest Hog 3 User?

Hello everyone, i am brand new to this forum. I am 15 and my name is Ollie. I got very interested in Lighting whilst in a production at a large theatre. Since then i have attended plasa anually aswell as visiting the BBC and ITV television studios to see what they do.

In 2004 thanks to Chris Ferrante @ Flying Pig/Highend i was invited to go down to Flying Pig's London Office and train on the newly released hog 3. I have now visited FPS London many many times and have a vast knowledge of the system and programming. Also last year i was asked by my school to tech the Lighting on the musical 'Chess' Chris kindly lent me the Hog ipc for the week to try out at my school.

Really i suppose i wanted to find out if i am indeed the youngest Hog user, but also i would love to hear from anyone who can guide me on to where to go after i leave school this year. I would really love to join a company and get trained in Lighting first hand rather than study it somewhere. Can anyone help me.

Also attached is a pic of the hog ipc console in my front room.

Thanks for reading. Ollie - 15yrs
  • [QUOTE=bradpepe;47214]
    This industry is a great place with wonderful people.

Reid,

The quoted sentence above is actually from a very wonderful industry guru! I highly advise you buy his book(s). :)

Happy Programming :)
  • As Brad said, how you approach someone makes a big difference. I find that asking an intelligent and relevant question is a good way to start. Find something unique or interesting about the show and ask about that.

Also, don't be offended if they don't have time to talk. It doesn't necessarily mean they're a jerk, they may just be busy. Don't take it personally. You'll find many techs are rather gregarious and love to talk shop.
  • [QUOTE=ericthegeek;47220]As Brad said, how you approach someone makes a big difference. I find that asking an intelligent and relevant question is a good way to start. Find something unique or interesting about the show and ask about that.

Also, don't be offended if they don't have time to talk. It doesn't necessarily mean they're a jerk, they may just be busy. Don't take it personally. You'll find many techs are rather gregarious and love to talk shop.

After reading this, I very much agree and thanks for the advice. My father told me to make myself clear :) in giving dsome more background. I suppose the biggest thing is just the fear of doing something stupid. Anyway, my dad is the technical director for the church that I work for (5,000 members abbashouse.com) so that has allowed me to play with some pretty fun toys. :) WE have several touring shows come in year round. Such as Michael W. Smith, Big Daddy Weave, Salvador and Steven Curtis Chapman. And every time I am the House LD. All of those guys have always said "How old are you?" And then said "You're a big help." I guess it's cause they don't expect me to know what socopex is. :)
    But I agree with the "..if they don't have time to talk." As I said, I've done several large shows and in almost all of them... RIGHT after the show ends I get the "How many DMX channels are you using?" question. And everytime it's been..."A lot" ;) But I'd love to actually get more involed and noticed around the community. I recall the last time I really wanted to do that was at a TSO concert. I watched the Hog more than the show. Next time I will just ask. :)

[QUOTE=Joe Bleasdale;47218]Reid,

The quoted sentence above is actually from a very wonderful industry guru! I highly advise you buy his book(s). :)

Happy Programming :)

I will DEFFINATLY do that. :)
  • [QUOTE=etchighend828;47268]
    I recall the last time I really wanted to do that was at a TSO concert. I watched the Hog more than the show.

Ohh no, do NOT mention TSO ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks&feature=related

:)
  • I thought the TSO rolls were only allowed on the Lightnetwork. There is something scary about a moderator posting TSO rolls.
  • Reid,

FYI:
    The LD's at TSO (either Dan Cessar or Bryan Hartley depending where you are) are both very open and friendly with any lighting people (or anyone else) that comes up to them before or after the show. You can talk to them with ease...
Related