H3 Desktop Crash

Just updated to 3.05 on my H3, middle of a show, touched the screen and BAM lost the desktop.

2 Questions:

When I have a desktop crash, how do I get it back or do a quick restart, what keys are there. The backup UPS kept me running when I wanted to reboot the machine. So is there a reboot sequence and also a relaunch of the desktop. Also how do you reboot a DP2000 that hard locks. Are there some command keys to do this on both the console and the DP.

Also after the crash, I cannot delete any files. I am guessing that the crash scrambles some permissions. ANy fix on this. I cannot rename etc.

I have both a Wholehog 3 and an iPC so I would love to know how.
  • > I would ALWAYS manage a switch that is the backbone of the network.

For lighting networks, managed switches frequently cause as many problems as they solve. The default configuration on many managed switches doesn't work well for Hog-Net or Art-Net.

If you plan on using a managed switch, you must make sure that Spanning Tree and IGMP snooping are configured properly. There can also be problems with broadcast rate limiting and various other switch-specific issues.

The more features a switch has, the more time you must spend configuring it. These features are important to have if you're building a theme park, but for simple control networks, they just get in the way.
  • For my normal everyday use I have the Luminex switches (which are essentially DLink boards I believe). They are still doing their thing without issues and have survived all sorts of transportation, harsh working environments and extreme temperatures since my purchase in 2005. They are plug and play and totally unmanaged.

Ross
  • Thanks all for your help in fixing the problem. It seems to be the switch. Changed to a gigabit netgear switch, and so far, seems to be working.
Related