I needs some tips please.

I have an opportunity to programm a festival coming up and I have a good base knowledge of the hog 3. I recently have been introduced to the concept of busking and creating playbacks for different parameters and being able to play them back at any time rather than trying to think through every cue. My problem is trying to implement this with the hog. Given I will have only 9 or 10 playback faders how do I get all the different parameters that I would like to access on one playback bus. I've seen talk about about virtual playbacks of the forum but what is a virtual play back on the hog where do you access that. For busking certain parameters I thought I heard pallets were a good way to do this or is that not ok. Also is it possible to use play back faders as effect rate modifiers? The festival isn't very complicated about 60 par cans on a down stage truss and 1K2 movers on an upstage. I'm assuming there needs to be different looks for color washes and chase patterns for the par cans but I would like to do some interesting stuff with the movers. Any tips any one has would be helpful I'm new to this forum. I would really like to learn an efficient way to program a busking type of show.
  • Does anyone have any good ideas for chase patterns and how to program them? Is it better to program a long list of cues and make a chase out of a cue list, Or is it better to program with intensity effects?
  • So I have been using a "busking" method for the last few weeks ever since my theatre cut my rehearsal times in half. I love it so far, but I'm comming across come minor annoyances I'm hoping some of you can help with.
    I have a rig of 30 Mac washes and 25 Mac Spots, loads of conventionals, a Martin QFX Star Drop and 10 Mac 250 spots on the stage. My Hog is set up with Washes and enviorment effect on the left screen, and my spots on the right. Very close to how Brad described with a few differences. A few of the problems I have:

Focusing spots - Being my spots are spread out over a large stage, the focus is not always great, is there someway I can make another cuelist which can help with this. Something like a "Bump focus up 10%" or "down 10%", preferably something that will not take up a whole row of cuelists.

Star Drop- My star drop will run through its twinkle effect for about 90 seconds then stop for about 5 seconds, then start again. Its not bad when I'm using a slow twinkle but a fast one kills the look for that amount time.

Spots - As of now, all of my Mac Spots are grouped together in these cuelists, so unless I write a specific list with a higher priority all of do the same thing. Is there a space saving way to make just, say "the 3rd electric" follow a particualy virtual playback? I'm not sure I'm explaining it well, or if its just a pipe dream.

I have loads more questions, but this are my more pressing ones. Thanks in advance!
  • Been using the virtual cuelists last weekend, and worked great! Only 1 thing... When i have movements for my moving heads via a virtual cuelist, how do i easily adjust the speed of the movement?
  • [QUOTE=SanderL;60547]Been using the virtual cuelists last weekend, and worked great! Only 1 thing... When i have movements for my moving heads via a virtual cuelist, how do i easily adjust the speed of the movement?

Touch and hold the virtual cuelist, and then you have the speed under the encoders just like the master faders. after the adjusment quickly sweep away from your cuelist (if you use Add Release End Cue, or have multiple que's in the list).

Morgen dagje vrij dan bel ik met danny voor de tafel.
  • [QUOTE=Hugovd89;60548]Touch and hold the virtual cuelist, and then you have the speed under the encoders just like the master faders. after the adjusment quickly sweep away from your cuelist (if you use Add Release End Cue, or have multiple que's in the list).

Morgen dagje vrij dan bel ik met danny voor de tafel.
    Wederom bedankt. Zo krijg ik steeds meer manieren door om de tafel te gebruiken.

En ik hoor het wel, wat het word ;)
  • Been Busking for years.. Know ya user numbers!!! I leave faders for mainly int stuff, put pos,beam, col in scene directory in vert columns, run fx from programmer - speed size control, use fade changes to use palletes with lotsa attributes in it, pan/tilt speed for flyouts etc.... urm.. priorities and persists here and there.. Highlight/lowlights is fun.. I been trying to make a moving light console work like an old school rock board ever since movers come along.. busking is good fun!!
  • Pure Busking (Meaning you have never heard the music before) is truly an artform...

One Hog Desk with 10 faders is cool and you can use the Scene, List and macro directories to supplement the lack of faders, but it will never replace Actual faders and toggle/flash buttons so you can "Play" the desk like a keyboard and have manual fade control of parameters.

If you can, the addition of an H4 Fader wing, Master Wing and the old school H3 mini playback wing can be added and scaled to your busking needs...

One of the coolest FOH setups I have seen is three mini playback wings attached to a custom wing holder so all the wings sit left of the desk and in three vertical layers... The LD didn't have to reach that far to get his left hand on any of the three fader wings...
Related