sACN - VLANs?

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered already, just trying to get my head around it.

We've got three venues, all with sACN Net3 gateways and nodes, that we'd like to interconnect so that we can monitor, and adjust as necessary, everything from one central computer in the Workshop. Our concern is that Venue 1's console could theoretically control Venue 2 or 3's Gateways (and vice versa). Initial thoughts make us think of simply having different subnets for each venue, but as sACN is multicast, we don't think that would work. We have a couple of managed switches that we could use, so our next thought is VLANs - do you have any thoughts on how this could be completed, so one computer can see all three venues, but a venue can only see itself?

Cheers,

Cam

• Hi Cam,

it is possible to use the benefits of some managed switches but usually for most users with that comes the plethora of problems that usually can arise when using managed switches.

I recommend just using for Venue 1 : sACN Universes 11-19 , and for Venue 2: sACN Universes 21-29, and for Venue 3: sACN Universes 31-39.

If my memory recalls correctly, you also have the possibility in the Shell of each console to allow only certain address ranges to block which addresses which consoles can reach.

This way you can reach Venue's Gateways from Concert for configuration and monitoring but an individual show can only affects its own outputs, all the while avoiding the possible nightmare of a managed network.

• One additional option you have is to change the allowed output range on the consoles, and designate a range of universes to each venue. Requires some additional setup and ensuring that there are no overlapping IP addresses across venues, but would allow you to do it without any major networking foo.

Following RE: subnets/multicast, however....
Related