Response and RDM

Hello! I have a response gateway and I can’t get the RDM to work on port 4.

All other ports are ok, and I can get RDM out thru my Swisson rdm spliter that’s connected to port 4 if I use my DMXcat.

They are new and I can’t remember ever geting RDM on that port. Any tips or do I have to send it back?

• Hi Johannes,

can you check in Concert if RDM is enabled on that port? Post a photo of that port’s settings here.
  • I have turned it on and off a lot of times. I normally don't have the RDM on during shows.

A you can see is RDM on, the gateway green and nothing in the discovery field. Should be 6x Colorsource CYC, 4x Robe 600LED wash and 4x Colorsource PAR.

I did change a port on another gateway to 4. and see what happen! 

• Settings look right. So if you swap the DMX Cables from Port 2 and Port 4, do you see any of the fixtures from Cable 4 now on Port 2? If not, then the Response Gateway probably needs to be repaired.

• Can’t do that swap now. But when I did change to port 2 on anoter gateway (see the other picture) it worked fine and I did see the fixtures.
  • If you put the dmx cable from the original port 4 (where no RDM Information was displayed) to a different port 2 - without changing anything on that dmx cable, including fixtures, splitters, repeaters or the exact cables themselves - and on this port 2, you see the RDM Information, and the RDM Settings are the same between Port 2 and 4, - then all the evidence points that the port 4 on that original Gateway has an issue and needs to go to repair.
  • that is what I did. if you look at the pictures above first picture is the not working port 4 on my U1-U4 gateway. 2nd picture is my U5-U8 gateway but with port 2 set to be U4 out. that one is discovering the devices on that line.
    What is not the same between them is that on my first gateway it's a Front Panel DMX 4 out kit from ETC because it's rack mounted. but that the cable would be the problem feels odd.
  • Hi Johannes,

I have experienced many odd things. If you can test later by plugging directly into the back
    of the Gateway, and get the same result of no RDM, then contact your local ETC Dealer or ETC about getting that Gateway to be Repair.
  • A little update: ok now I had a hour free and exchanged the gateway to a brand new one. The differences now is that I get flicker/blinking in some of my Colorsource cyc and colorsource pars but can't still find them in Concert.
    The flicker/blinking only come when the RDM is on and the console is down and I run Concert from a Laptop. With console on and Concert on a laptop the devices do not blink.
    I have to keep looking now for problems. Will look in to it more on Friday.
    I have also not tested the old gateway out of the system. I have to do that to.
    Just wanted to post this update.
  • I thought you said that cable line worked fine with RDM on another port? This is why I didn‘t ask to troubleshoot what was on that cable.
    Did this same exact dmx cable line work on another port of the old Gateway with RDM working completely?

And now nothing was added or changed on that DMX line and you plugged it another Response 4port DMX RDM Gateway - and the lights are flickering but not found in Concert?

So what exactly is on this cable line going from Gateway? Only ETC fixtures? Or other fixtures? Any DMX Splitters, mergers?

How many control sources? Paradigm or other arch control?
  • On that line it's first a Swison RDM splitter, then from that three lines DMX. one to a bar with 6 Colorsource CYC and 4 Robe 600 LED wash. and two lines with 2 Colorsource PARS on each. The blinking was on one CYC and one Colorsource PAR. so on two separate lines, but two ETC fixtures.
    As I did say before, plugging in a DMXcat from City Theatrical in the Swisson splitter makes me see all devices connected to the splitter.
    I only had a short time to test the cables and gateways so I prioritized and made a exchange. but I will on Friday when the theatre is not playing do more testes. like port swapping in the gateway, cable swapping, with or without console on and so on.
  • Ok - there are many more factors there. Further troubleshooting sounds good. Remember though - only change one factor at a time, otherwise you lose track of what could be causing problems - and there are always could be multiple factors in the line causing issues but not necessarily always at the same time. Never assume anything as a fact!
  • yea. I do need to sit down and test one step at the time and have the time I need. But thanks to a canceled show I have that time this Friday. (We have a bit much right now) I will be in touch when more tests are done.
  • So, the first gateway didn't show RDM on port 4. So I changed it. The 2nd gateway didn't show RDM on port 4 so I started to swap cables, change ports, terminate fixtures and so on. still no RDM on port 4.
    so I put a third gateway in, and then I have RDM on port 4 (on the third one)

Conclusion from my part so far: two out of three gateways are broken the same way! It's brand new gateways so I will contact my dealer about swapping them out/repair.
  • I have got some tips from Marcus Birkin thru my ETC repair person in Sweden where to look. I'm not going to say here what that is but it looks good.
    Thanks for the help Corey!
  • Problem solved!
    Thanks for all the help!
Related