Daisy chain 11 Mosaic MSC4 --2048 channel output over 3000ft with ethernet

How reliable would my 3000' long universe be with 11 of these controllers with a maximum distance between being 325feet.

Has anyone done this?

We would put a network switch at each junction.

andrew

• The standard for ethernet over copper wire is 100 meters/ 300' max. Fiber optic cables go much further. So long as each section is under that you should be fine. There is a limit on how many switches one can string, but I think you are well under that line, AFAIR

• If I am understanding the question correctly...this is not an ideal wiring architecture. Connecting through multiple switches in a daisy chain fashion, would introduce hops, which introduces latency. This would likely result in undesired timing issues between controllers. If you design your switch architecture in more of a star topology, this possibly could achieve what you are after.

Is there a specific reason you need 11 controllers in 11 different locations? Can you put them all in 1 location and run what I presume is DMX, all out from there? Or, might a single MSCX work better for you?

If you could describe, in detail what you're trying to control, and the desired control intent, then we may be able to provide suggestions/solutions that better suit your needs.

• OK we have lights to change about every 250'  The street is 3000' long and I want to design the light universe over all of the lights over the 3000'.   The reason there are 11 controllers is because there is light happening in 11 places and we want the lights to make sense together.

I am an electrician and metal designer so I would have someone else to program the lighting, I just want to get it wired right.

• Fotowork,

Your situation indeed requires some specific consideration for the large swath of space that your system spans, but you may be able to maintain a core "star topology" network infrastructure and distribute the lighting data out to your devices differently.

Are your lights DMX compatible? What kind of lights are you trying to control? (Manufacturer? Model?)

• DMX lines supposedly can only run 32 systems and cannot span 300 feet.  Right? I am new to lighting design.  Most systems wont work for 3000' right?

• Thanks, I cannot order the controllers to test from ECT without the address of the project and I do not want to give that out

• DMX and ethernet are very different. DMX is based on EIA-485 and can do 1500' with some manufacturers claiming 2500' under ideal conditions. 

It sounds as though you could use some expert advice from someone that can look at all the specifics of the project and sort out these structural issues. How many DMX addresses are needed at each location? How important are the timing issues Abby mentioned? And you already mentioned the need to have someone else do the programming. Perhaps the local ETC dealer can help or help you find someone. 

• The maximum number of devices on a DMX segment including the transmitter, is 32, but this rule could change depending on manufacturer's recommendations, among other reasons.

The 300 feet limitation (100 meters, to be exact) is for network. DMX cable (example, Belden 9729) can run 5x-ish longer than that, per segment (from last transmitting device, to last listening device). Also, splitters (NOT "Y" cables, but actual purpose-built electronic DMX splitters) can tap off of the transmitter(s) into multiple segments. 

If your lights are DMX compatible, I suspect you'd be looking at something like: core network infrastructure, which sends signal from an MSCX to a number of DMX Gateways (simply put, converts network to DMX), and out of those Gateways, feed DMX (Belden 9729 is what we prefer) out to your fixtures. This is very simplified, just to illustrate concept.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you reach out to your friendly neighborhood ETC Dealer, and meet with them. Discuss your project, and your desired control intent, and request their assistance in engineering this in a way that will ensure maximum success and minimal pitfalls.

This forum is wonderful for general information, but would be inadequate to depend on as the source to engineer your specific control system.

• One other consideration in favor of a more centralized single point of main control gear location, is the fact that it sounds like you may have an outdoor scenario and need to incorporate provisions for IP66, 67, 68, or whatever is appropriate for your circumstances and what the local AHJ pre/proscribes.

• Thank you, I will post some cheaper lights and some more expensive ones, but my really great ECT dealer tech person is nervous about 3000 feet and reliability.  I was planning on using the ECT mosaic control system and software  since it seems like a good fit.  Each controller has 4000+ channels so that means about 1000 RGB+WW leds can be lit at each junction.  Programming can be dealt with later, My concern is system design and you all have been very helpful.  

• Here is the link to the tape, in case the link does not work it is IP66 RGB+WW tape from Targetti

targettiusa.net/.../

• One clarification: an MSC4 can control 2048 individually calculated dmx addresses.   So, an MSC4 would independently control 512 fixtures with a 4 address footprint (typical RGBW).

• Thank you for that clarification, ill bring this thread with me when I meet with the dealer.  

Related