Electroluminescent or EL Wire

Is there a way to connect/control Electroluminescent or EL Wire through SmartPack dimmers?

• Hello Jay,

Interesting question! I've never personally worked with EL wire but this article mentions it isn't easily dimmed. The wire needs a high frequency (100V 2kHz) supply to be driven - what are you currently using to drive it?

Probably your best bet would be a dedicated driver with DMX input like the ones here.

-Tom

• Haven't started using it yet. Just looking at it for an application in our Christmas production.  I'm just in the fact gathering mode right now.

The DMX control box is something I was actually looking for, but hadn't found. Thank you VERY much for that link!

• While not your exact same scenario, I have used some 12v EL Ultra-Bright Wire (about 6' of it) a RC4 wireless dimmer. I had to write a custom profile to prevent some flickering when dimming, but it has worked for me perfectly for 6 months. Only issue I have is the power supply makes a small high pitched whine, but not noticeable from more than a few feet away. I know thats 12v and your looking for 120v, but my 2cents. 

Related