Source Four Angle Sans Barrel

On several occasions, I have found it useful to hang Source Fours with no barrels in them. At a glance, this appears to produce a circle of light roughly equivalent to that of a Source Four with a 36 barrel, only without the easy ability to shutter, gel, or focus the edge. I don't know exactly, but I'd like to. Are there any specs on the beam and/or field angle of a Source Four devoid of a barrel?

Thanks anyone who knows!

Parents Reply Children
  • The lamp is a standard Tungsten lamp. And you do mention it can be a saftey risk, what if I do as noted above and mesh the front of the fixture? The venue I'm working at doesn't have money to purchase two 36 degree lens tubes at the current time. We have to make do for this show.
  • I’m not the Feds, a UL inspector, or a local code enforcer. You can do anything you want too. But speaking as ETC, no. If a lamp were to ‘blow’ many of the fragments would be too small for any sort of mesh front end to catch. Using R00 would also be a problem as a ‘very’ hot piece of broken lamp will burn though pretty fast. Sorry I cannot give you the answer you want but as an employee of ETC, I gave you to best answer I could. Kind regards and best wishes for your show. (I’ll get out of this now and allow other users to give you their thoughts :-)
  • Thank you for your input to this discussion. What you say is true and the fixtures are only on for one or two scenes in the entire show. Hopefully nothing happens in those two scenes. As soon as the show is done I I'll put our 19's back on them. Once again, thank you for your input.
Related