Source Four Mini Dimming Options

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting some Source Four Minis for various tasks (to be used at events in car showrooms, cafes, and other small venues, but not as a permanent install) and want them to be as versatile as possible. Therefore I want to have each fixture be dimmable, but because of the setup loacations having a 12 or even 4 channel dimmer isn't ideal. So I'm looking for a way to have a separate dimmer on each fixture.

My question is what's the best way to go about this? I know I could get a full 10A (I'm in Australia, so 240V 10A mains) unit dimmer but this seems overkill for a 50W fixture. My thoughts so far are:

One option is perhaps to get the low voltage version and use a City Theatrical D2 dimmer (the D1 is much larger) or similar, along with a 12V DC power supply. Depending on the PSU size it could all be mounted on the yoke making for simple set up and pack down. But I'm not sure this is the most elegant solution to the problem.

Another thought was if there was a DMX controlled dimmer similar to those used to dim halogen lights in people's homes. The domestic turn knob dimmers are small and cheap, and seem to be a great option if only they had DMX. Maybe a DIY solution based on these dimmers would be something to investigate?

If anyone has any thoughts on these ideas or ideas of your own regarding how to address this they'd be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Kieran

Parents Reply Children
Related