MobileRFR on latest version of iOS with isolated Wi-Fi network

I don't know if others are seeing the same, but the Wi-Fi network we use for the lighting rig is isolated from the Internet. When I try to connect to that network using the latest iOS 16 betas my iOS device drops the selected network and tries to go back to another known network. I've reported this as a bug to Apple, but might be best to avoid iOS 16 for now if you rely on the iOS RFR apps. 

tt2

Parents
  • Hi,

Would you please let us know what settings you have enabled:

- Wi-Fi calling enabled/disabled

- Wi-Fi assist enabled/disabled

- Have you tried with these disabled?

- Have you tried in airplane mode?

• Wi-Fi calling is not enabled

Wi-Fi assist is not enabled

Airplane mode, followed by re-enabling Wi-Fi didn't help.

What happens is that after selecting the lighting control Wi-Fi network the iOS device attempts to contact captive.apple.com but as it cannot reach that site it generates an error which has a single OK button to dismiss. Once you click OK the iPhone tries to connect to a different service, The second image shows what I would expect to see, letting you connect with the Use Without Internet option. 

I'm currently on iOS 16.1 beta 3. I don't believe this was an issue with older betas of 16, but I cannot check if it is a problem with the current public release. This behaviour might be rather awkward for some if it goes live. I've had to dig an old phone out of retirement to get a working ETC remote.

tt2

• OK, so this is weird. I've tried to reproduce this issue with some other routers and I cannot do it. The problem router is an ASUS AC1750 supplied by the hire company. I haven't dived into its setting pages but its IP is 10.101.50.1 mask 255.255.0.0 and no DHCP server. I've tried similar settings on a TP-Link AC1750 (naming coincidence?) and I can connect to that Wi-Fi network correctly. Cannot force the issue on my router at home either. Curiouser & curiouser. I wonder what the specific trigger is on the ASUS model?

tt2

• OK, so this is weird. I've tried to reproduce this issue with some other routers and I cannot do it. The problem router is an ASUS AC1750 supplied by the hire company. I haven't dived into its setting pages but its IP is 10.101.50.1 mask 255.255.0.0 and no DHCP server. I've tried similar settings on a TP-Link AC1750 (naming coincidence?) and I can connect to that Wi-Fi network correctly. Cannot force the issue on my router at home either. Curiouser & curiouser. I wonder what the specific trigger is on the ASUS model?

tt2

Children