Mosaic Show Controller purchasing question

Hi there,

I am about to commit myself to the Mosaic Show Controller system for a large architectural light installation.

The installation requires 3 universes for 440 RGB DMX fixtures. As far as I understand from reading through the MSC specs the most efficient way would be to use one MSC1 and one MSC2 controller and network them through an ethernet switch. Do I need the Mosaic Ethernet Switch or can I use "any" ethernet switch? What's the required transmission speed? 10/100/1000 mbps?

Just to make sure I understand the workflow, please let me know if the following is correct:

(1) Program show on computer with Unison Mosaic Designer software

(2) Test program live on fixtures via USB and the attached MSC1 and MSC2 controller that are network together with an ethernet switch

(3) Download show to the two MSC controllers for stand-alone playback.

Thanks for your help with this beginner question!

Erwin

Parents
  •  

Erwin,

I'm glad to hear your planning to use Unison Mosaic for your project. I think you will be very happy with it.

For what you have described I do think an MSC1 and an MSC2 networked together is your best approach. 440 RGB fixtures should be 1320 channels or 2.5 universe of DMX. The only thing to double check is if the fixtures use a separate intensity channel. If they do, than this would actually be more than 3 universe and you would want to use two MSC2 controllers.

In either case you will need a network switch to connect the controllers. This can be any standard 10/100 Mbs switch, a gigabyte switch is not required. The Mosaic switch simplifies things by using the same mounting and style as the controller, but any switch will work. If you use a switch that supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) like the Mosaic switch does than that will power the controllers. If the switch does not support PoE than you will need a power supply rater for somewhere between 9 and 48vDC at .5A per controller

As far as the work flow goes, Mosaic Designer make it quite easy to program. You can actually do most of the programming disconnected from the system using he simulation tools built in if that helps save you time. You can also use the Live Output mode to program connected to the system. When you work in Live Output, or when you upload the show to the controllers, you will need a connection to the controllers. This can be via USB as you describe, or Ethernet from your computer to the switch that the controllers are connected to.

As with any ETC product, if you have any trouble along the way, you can contact our 24 hour phone support for assistance, or find help from the entire ETC community here on the forum.

•  

Erwin,

I'm glad to hear your planning to use Unison Mosaic for your project. I think you will be very happy with it.

For what you have described I do think an MSC1 and an MSC2 networked together is your best approach. 440 RGB fixtures should be 1320 channels or 2.5 universe of DMX. The only thing to double check is if the fixtures use a separate intensity channel. If they do, than this would actually be more than 3 universe and you would want to use two MSC2 controllers.

In either case you will need a network switch to connect the controllers. This can be any standard 10/100 Mbs switch, a gigabyte switch is not required. The Mosaic switch simplifies things by using the same mounting and style as the controller, but any switch will work. If you use a switch that supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) like the Mosaic switch does than that will power the controllers. If the switch does not support PoE than you will need a power supply rater for somewhere between 9 and 48vDC at .5A per controller

As far as the work flow goes, Mosaic Designer make it quite easy to program. You can actually do most of the programming disconnected from the system using he simulation tools built in if that helps save you time. You can also use the Live Output mode to program connected to the system. When you work in Live Output, or when you upload the show to the controllers, you will need a connection to the controllers. This can be via USB as you describe, or Ethernet from your computer to the switch that the controllers are connected to.

As with any ETC product, if you have any trouble along the way, you can contact our 24 hour phone support for assistance, or find help from the entire ETC community here on the forum.

Children
No Data
Related