Fixture editor tutorial & 3D simulation

69morpho
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:31 PM 

Hi all,

I am about to purchase my first Mosaic controllers but would like to have more information about the fixture editor and 3D simulation first.

My project uses 410 custom RGB fixtures in a complex 3D set-up.

The white balance of some of the fixtures isn't perfect, e.g some are a bit red-ish, some blue-ish when RGB is set to 255. I'd like to create custom fixtures, e.g. the red-ish fixtures wouldn't use 255 as their max red value but something lower and the blue-ish fixtures would have a lower blue max value. I am pretty sure this is possible with Mosaic Designer software, correct? The manual unfortunately doesn't go into the fixture editor details. Is there another fixture editor manual or tutorial?

It looks like Mosaic Designer's "Setup" plan only offers 2D setups. Is there any way to do 3D except somehow laying out the 3D fixtures on the 2D "Setup" plan?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Erwin

Marcus Birkin
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 4:07 AM 

Erwin,

The designer is a free download (http://www3.etcconnect.com/product.downloads.aspx?ID=20295) so you can play before you buy (and program offline).

Yes you can do min and max values for a custom fixture. It's very easy, have a play with the designer!

I'm afraid the setup plan is 2D only, but with a program like Capture (http://www.capturesweden.com/) you would be able to draw and visualise a 3D simulation.

Also assuming your patching all 410 RGB units as individual DMX addresses, that's 1230 address (1640 if R,G,B,Int) so you would need at least a MSC4 controller.

Marcus

69morpho
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 7:41 PM Edit

Hi Marcus (and everybody else interested in this topic)!

The project now finally is ready to be programmed. I just went to the Capture web-site. This software is rather pricey! Are there any other software options?

Is there any software/hardware package the allows me to route the DMX out of the Mosaic controllers back to the computer via a DMX interface that then uses a generic software to simulate 3D? Sounds a bit twisted, I know...

No need for any fancy beam reflections, etc. just simple circles in a 3D space indicating the position of the RGB fixtures and their programmed color over time.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Erwin

Marcus Birkin
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:40 AM 

69morpho wrote::
The project now finally is ready to be programmed. I just went to the Capture web-site. This software is rather pricey! Are there any other software options?

There is a free edition!

http://www.capturesweden.com/Products/Software.aspx

Erwin
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:49 AM 

Heya!

I am now a proud owner of 2 Mosaic controllers.

Regarding 3D simulation: After a lot of searching and testing trial versions of various software packages I bought the pro version of LumiDMX 3D. Works great and is very affordable - see www.lumidmx.com.
Sirs Electronics, the American distributor they list, actually doesn't sell their products anymore. I ordered the software incl. pro dongle directly from Germany without any problems - see www.thomann.de

Cheers,

Erwin

Related