Some precisions about ArtNet

Hi everyone,

I'd like to have some precisions about ArtNet in Mosaic Designer.

Am I correct saying that the controller only broadcasts ArtNet ? I can't find anything to write multiple IP addresses for multiple nodes (for instance Universe 0 goes to 2.0.0.1, Universe 1 to 2.0.0.10, etc..) ... so why is there a checkbox at the top of the ArtNet patch saying "Always Broadcast" ? Isn't it the only way to send ArtNet with MSC ? I'm a bit confused here :/

From what I've seen in Wireshark, it seems that everything is sent to the broadcast address, but I may have missed something ...

Thanks in advance your answsers !

• Mosaic supports Art-Net 2.

This means that it tries to discover Art-Net 2 (and Art-Net 3) nodes and once they are discovered, it will unicast to them.

Unfortunately, some Art-Net nodes do not support Art-Net 2's discovery protocol. Avoid these whenever possible!

To help with this, by default Mosaic will broadcast the levels until nodes respond to its Art-Net discovery requests.
    The requested universe(s) then automatically switch over to unicasting to all nodes requesting it.

This ensures that nodes which do not support Art-Net 2 still work - but this is only useful for small systems.

If Art-Net is desired in larger systems (eg anything with an MSC-X), the Art Net option "Disable Broadcast" should be ticked to disable this initial broadcasting behaviour.

Larger systems therefore require that all Art-Net nodes support Art-Net 2.

If you are unfortunate enough to have a large system where a small number of nodes don't support Art-Net 2, you can tick the "Always Broadcast" box on those specific universes to tell Mosaic to broadcast them.

- Please note, the IP range 2.x.x.x is a legacy range and as of 2009 should no longer be used for any private networks as it has been assigned to the general Internet.
    Using the 2.x.x.x IP range may cause some devices to have difficulty connecting to the MSCs from the local network, and will make remote access to the Mosaic system considerably more difficult.

It is preferred to use 10.x.x.x IP addresses ("Secondary Art-Net"), or one of the two other Private Use IP address ranges.

• Wow, thanks for that quick and complete answer ! Shouldn't it be included in the doc ? I guess that'd be pretty useful ! And by the way, everyone knows the cake is a lie. Cheers !
  • It's already there, though it is at the very bottom of the Patch section of the Help.
    (We are assuming that you know what Art-Net II is, or can look it up)

The cake is not a lie! You will be baked and there will be cake - GLaDOS never said you'd get any cake...

• Okay just checked it, your explanation is still clearer ! Thank you again, that's what I call support ;)
Related