Mosaic Designer Trigger - Text based input for Mosaic 2 Controller

Dear All,

After using Mosaic Designer for a while I am now working for the first time with input based triggers. The user is supposed to be able to input text that then gets evaluated and displayed on a large-scale custom light display.

Example: The user types "Happy Birthday!" on a computer terminal and then the DMX-based light display would scroll "Happy Birthday!" from right to left similar to the scrolling LED-signs used for advertising.

My approach would be to create a simply user interface that gets the user's text input and then send this text via RS232 or RS485 to the Mosaic 2 Controller which then evaluates the text and converts it to the appropriate DMX commands. Would Lua script be the right tool to evaluate the text, e.g. decide how the letter "H" of "Happy Birthday" is supposed to be displayed? The display itself is fairly simple. Image a low-res 5 pixel high and 30 pixel long display. Each pixel would be an RGB-LED using 3 DMX channels. The letter "H" would then be converted into the DMX values (left vertical would be 5 pixels high, middle horizontal would be 1 pixel off-set by 1 in the center, right vertical would 5 pixels high off-set by 2).

Another idea would be to evaluate the letter "H" already in the user's computer before it even reaches the Mosaic controller. The user's computer would then send the right DMX channels and values via RS232/485 to the Mosaic controller. A Lua script would then basically query the serial input port and directly relay the received numbers as DMX channels and values to the display.

I've never worked with Lua script before. It's simply a question of how quickly Lua can crunch complex algorithms compared to other computer languages.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Erwin

Parents Reply Children
No Data
Related