Capturing button press

I'm working on a show where I'd like to capture which of ten buttons is pressed and store it as a variable to be used as a timeline selection that would be played with an astro trigger. The concept is that there is a default timeline that would run everyday but if so desired, an alternative can be selected prior to the astro event and there run instead of the default. I can't find information about passing a button number through to a variable or function. Is this possible?

Chuck

Parents
  • I've been experimenting with a different approach to this using intensity mastering. 

The scheduled timeline is activated in the morning (assuming a system that's lit up sunset to sunrise) just after the lights are turned off with an intensity master (sunrise +30 or whatever).

The intensity master goes to full at sunset-30 or whenever it's scheduled to. 

The advantage is the button for tonight's timeline is selected all day, so daytime workers can see what to expect on the screen, and making a change for a one-off update is straightforward. 

• I thought of this scenario as well. What would you do for the daily reset? Would you have it revert to the normally scheduled program just before normal business hours?

I may be a pessimist, but I could see someone on staff(end users staff) consistently setting a "preset" for the day BEFORE the system reverts back to the default programming each day and complaining. 

• Basically, instead of having the Start Timeline instruction in the "Sunset -30" trigger, it would be in a "Sunrise +31" trigger. There would be a window where staff could get it confused, but that's something you have to cover in training no matter when your astro triggers fire. I like it better than "if you only want to override for a day, wait for the lights to come on and push a different button" strategy

• Basically, instead of having the Start Timeline instruction in the "Sunset -30" trigger, it would be in a "Sunrise +31" trigger. There would be a window where staff could get it confused, but that's something you have to cover in training no matter when your astro triggers fire. I like it better than "if you only want to override for a day, wait for the lights to come on and push a different button" strategy

Children
No Data
Related