Replacing D20 dimmer with a CC20 question

Hey all, first poster here.  New TD at a church, but have tech background.  Was wondering, I understand that power is power and what not, but if i wanted to install some moving lights, I would replace a D20 with a CC20 breaker, and then that connects to stagepin on stage.  Is it safe (or logical) to run a moving heads from a stagepin-to-edison cable with that circuit being a CC20?

Parents
  • Concur with Jimi, but would add a bit. Be aware that the standard "Edison" connector is a NEMA 5-15R. As indicated by the 15, this connector is only rated for 15a, while Stage Pin and your dimmer/relay/CC is rated at 20a. You may remember that the adapter(s) you build are only good for 1800w, but the next guy (or your volunteers) may not. I would recommend using NEMA 5-20R female on your adapter so you've got the full rating, and this connector will still accept the 5-15 too. Or you can replace the conn on the mover, which will actually be less expensive unless you're regularly changing venues.  

BTW, if your fixture has a remote shutdown command that fully puts the fixture to sleep, the R20 path isn't necessary, but can be nice to completely disconnect power. If no remote, the R20 is pretty much required since you don't want to be unplugging each fixture or flipping breakers. 

• Concur with Jimi, but would add a bit. Be aware that the standard "Edison" connector is a NEMA 5-15R. As indicated by the 15, this connector is only rated for 15a, while Stage Pin and your dimmer/relay/CC is rated at 20a. You may remember that the adapter(s) you build are only good for 1800w, but the next guy (or your volunteers) may not. I would recommend using NEMA 5-20R female on your adapter so you've got the full rating, and this connector will still accept the 5-15 too. Or you can replace the conn on the mover, which will actually be less expensive unless you're regularly changing venues.  

BTW, if your fixture has a remote shutdown command that fully puts the fixture to sleep, the R20 path isn't necessary, but can be nice to completely disconnect power. If no remote, the R20 is pretty much required since you don't want to be unplugging each fixture or flipping breakers. 

Children
Related