how can i control my unison heritage system with sACN or ArtNet via a NON-Etc console???

Hello All,

I Have recently taken a position at a property in las vegas as there ME/Programmer. While i'm well versed in dimmer control and console operation, I am somewhat ignorant on methods to interface with the arch control systems in your line. The system does have portable touchscreens and locations to tie in throughout. Though i have had several shows/clients recently that wanted a more "fine tune" ability of the system in particular from there moving light consoles (WholeHog/RoadHog & MA2 in particular). The building has multiple versions of the system ranging from EtcNet 1-4, both Paradigm and Heritage Legacy, with CEM, CEM+, CEM3 Brains.

Currently i am trying to figure out a way to u interface with the system that has etcnet 2 protocol. CEM+ dimmer control module(s), multiple 48 way dimmer racks and two arch control racks (splitting space into two halves from a total of 20 room ballroom system, though the two halves are controllable from any portable port), also there is a 4-port etcnet node and a 2-port etcnet 2 node. everywhere there is a portable port for handheld there is also a ethernet jack labeled ETCNET. Neither of the nodes are inside of the ballroom space so plugging directly into them isnt an option ( not without a headache running boat load of cable.

If i've left out any details that would help please let me know either here or my email: iatsesparky720@gmail.com

Any guidance in this matter or options i am open to hearing as i am tired of telling people that i cant do something when they are spending $100's of $1000's of dollars for a show. THANX ALL. 

• Hi,

Well, that's a good selection of ETC gear of various ages. It's certainly possible to take an input from another network source to control your CEM+ racks (and CEM3). If the incoming console supports ETC Net2, then that's easy. If not, then could you consider moving either your 2 or 4 port Net2 nodes from their current location and having them be portable units, taking DMX input locally from the console and patching the node into one of your network jacks around the facility?

Chances are there will be a few different options, but without knowing your exact system layout it's hard to advise on specifics. If you have any paperwork from the original install which quotes the ETC Job number, that will help greatly as we will have all the system drawings on file. Equally, the ETC dealer who installed the system can probably help with an insight into the layout.

By all means post back here with the Job number if you can find it, but you may be better off talking with your local ETC office or calling Tech Support who can pull up the drawings and look at the system with you to help you figure out the options.

ETC West

6640 Sunset Blvd.
    Hollywood, CA 90028

Tel: 1.323.461.0216

For technical support in the Americas,
    please call 608-831-4116
    or toll-free in the U.S. at 800-688-4116
    service@etcconnect.com      

• Ok so let me ask this question. I have now acquired 3 net2 4 port nodes. U say that I could use one as an input to one of the network connections in the venue. So if I connect my hog to the node and configure that port as input and another port as output would I then convert dmx to rj-45 to input into the system as I don't have dmx ports in the venue
  • A Net2 node can have it's DMX ports configured as input or output. The data into or out of the 5pin XLR connection is always DMX. The data on the RJ45 connection is ethernet - in this case you're sending DMX over ethernet under the ETC Net2 (EDMX) protocol.

So you can use a node to either convert that EDMX data already on the network to DMX, or it can take DMX in and convert it to EDMX and send it out over the network infrastructure. That EDMX can be received by some of your devices (CEM+) or by another Net2 node where it can be converted back to DMX.

So yes, you can configure a node port as an input and hook your Hog up to it. That DMX data from the Hog is then sent over the network and can be picked up wherever you need it.

Related