Looking for a Unison Network status indicator

Hello, my theatre recently upgraded to a Unison network for the brains but kept some of the pathway nodes elsewhere to save costs. It's been working fairly well for things that always stay plugged in. Unfortunately it becomes kind of spotty when people start to come in and add things to the network. Sometimes the extra nodes we have take a couple of times of unplugging ethernet and replugging to get the system to send them the proper dmx lines.

A similar but different issue has been happening with our ION where we sometimes have to type in the static IP into the network shell or it doesn't connect properly. A second, more annoying problem is that occasionally someone will kick the network cable for the ion out of the jack under the desk. For this, we don't know about it until 5 minutes later when the dimmers fade everything down.

My question is: has anyone created or found a way to monitor the system and alert the operator if for example, one of the nodes becomes disconnected? I have a wireless router connected for iRFR and have been using the android app Fing to check if I can see other nodes and desks attached to the network when I start up for the day, but it doesn't alert me if the ION ethernet gets kicked out.

I would love if the answer was that I need to download a better network app for my tablet but I haven't found one yet.

• Colin;
    There are a few tools you can look at to monitor network status. ETC's Net3 Concert software would display the status of any ETC dimming racks, Architectural processors, and Nodes. It is a PC application and available for free here:
    www.etcconnect.com/.../Features.aspx

Pathway also makes some diagnostic and management software you can find here:
    www.pathwayconnect.com/.../software

As to your addressing, It sounds like all of your nodes are set for DHCP addressing but there is no device on your network operating as a DCHP server. As a result they will connect to the network, look for an address server and then default to a link local IP address. If a DHCP server comes online, they will eventually find it and then get a working network address. This may be why they don't work at first and then work when you unplug and then re-plug them.

You can set the ION to operate as a DHCP server in the shell. This way if the console is on when the node is connected it will get a proper address to communicate with the other devices.

Lastly, I would highly suggest re-dressing your network cable from the console so it can't get kicked out.

Remember Network cables are expendable. The moment that little plastic locking tab breaks, they are a problem waiting to happen.

Hope this helps
Related