Swinging Door Locking Covers for (all) Unison surface mount stations

I recently visited a site  where the locking door for a surface mount Legacy U71607 Station would always swing to a position perpendicular to the wall whenever it was unlocked. The back box was no longer secure against the wall. When I asked the end user about the situation, they commented on how it was frequently caught by clothing, skin (ouch!) etc. and pulled upon. Currently, the position that the door comes to rest in relies solely on the plane in which the back box lies . Even under good installation circumstances, the irregular mounting surfaces encountered with retro-fits & old buildings make this an eleventh hour field mod at best.

Is anyone else interested in seeing a cover that hinges on the long edge of the box, rather than the short edge (side)? This would allow the door to swing up or down depending on the desire of the client. A hinge was also a consideration, but along with the added expense comes the question of being sprung open or held closed(?) & we're not looking to reinvent the wheel here.

As far as production goes, the current setup appears to use the same size piano hinge for all back box gang sizes. The long edge option would require a hinge cut & attached according to the particular gang size required.

Current parts in production: 1064A2002-X (box) and 1064A2008-X (cover)

I welcome your comments & thoughts.

• Jeffery,

Are you familiar with the Unison Sliding Cover. This uses a polycarbonate door that can slide up or down depending on installation. The Hinged cover that you are referring to is actually a legacy part from the old AAS and DAS systems. It does still get used with Unison stations in many applications today for both surface and flush mount use. The locking door on that design is dependant on a good installation if it is meant to be closed and not locked. I know this happens regularly, but does beg the question, why a locking cover if it is not locked? The primary issue with a bottom or top hinge is that the cover would either flip open and bang against the wall, or flip down and smash fingers.

We have done non-standard versions of this cover that use a latch or magnet in place of the lock. these are not standard parts, but they are possible.The primary concern with a bottom or top hinge is that the cover would either flip open and bang against the wall, or flip down and smash fingers.

My main concern reported here is that people have commented that the corner are catching peoples skin. This is not a good thing. I will have a look at the covers in stock and insure that there are not sharp corner sticking out. We will want to correct that issue if people are getting caught on these covers.

• Brian,

Yes, I am familiar with the sliding covers. I especially like the captive key feature when the units are unlocked. I have yet to replace a lost key for that style cover.

Does there exist, or is there under development a version that works with a surface-mount back box? In the instances I've seen in the field, the frame of the sliding cover is larger than the O.D. of the back box, requiring some sort of custom trim ring to properly finish off the installation (the only negative comment I've heard is that it looks like it doesn't quite belong).

Thank you for your prompt response.

Jeff

Related