LED Architectural with ECHO

Hello all,

I'm in the process of putting together an ECHO system for a church that I volunteer at that ties both stage lighting and house lighting together. The main sticking point that I'm having right now is specifying an architectural LED fixture that will dim down to a true zero smoothly. The plan is to use the 0-10v relay for each zone of houselights and I know that the main sticking point is the driver within the fixture.

My basic question is whether anyone has found a driver and possibly a complete fixture that works well to fully and smoothly dim to zero like most incandescent fixtures can. Almost everything LED seems to dim to 10% and then pop off. The ceilings for the space in question are fairly low (8-12') so I would need something with a pretty wide (90-110º) throw and we're shooting for a 3000K color temp with a CRI of 80 or above.

Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

Dan

• Since this is an ETC forum it would be poor form not to mention Arcsystem. https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/ArcSystem/  I've used them and they dim as well as anything on the market. (remember that incandescents have their own pop-on issues)

I've found that DMX drivers (optional on many standard fixtures) give the best dimming function. In  Some 0-10V drivers are listed as "fade to black" but they are harder to find. The main tip I can give you is to talk to the big names Acuity/Lithonia, Eaton/Cooper/Halo, Lightolier, Hubbell/Columbia/Prescolite (off the top of my head) and get recommendations from your local reps. 

The other method is to find a local architectural lighting designer. Someone that can look at the space and make specific recommendations and even drawings/designs. I know it sounds like an extra expense, but it will save money in the long run by avoiding mistakes and getting better end results. Would you trust a architectural guy to do stage lights? The reverse logic may apply. Regardless I believe it's money well spent, as I do this work regularly. 

• Thanks for the response.

I think the main issue that I have with the ArcSystem is that it seems to be designed for ceiling heights that are much higher than ours as the fixtures go to only 50 or 60º beam spreads. Because this is a retro-fit of an old restaurant, the ceilings are low and many fixtures don't have the capacity to spread out quickly enough to be functional for our purposes. I'm thinking we're going to need something that is at least 90º+ to get sufficient coverage over the space.

I will def. have to consider involving an architectural designer. Thanks for the insight.

• Any architectural designer will warn you about glare. Basically flood angles over that 45d line we love so much will cause the congregation "discomfort glare", meaning they can't see as well and may develop issues like headaches.

If wider angles were a good solution ETC would probably make them that way too. 60d is pushing the limits to save money because sometime it's necessary. Visually small sources, like recessed lights are prime culprits. Those 2'x4' fluorescent fixtures used so much in commercial spaces are better, but lousy for churches. Try sitting in your space for a couple of hours and consider what's going on with your existing fixtures. 

• Thanks very much...very helpful things to consider. I really appreciate it!

Related