Fixture editor on Colorsource

Hi, Was just wondering, does the ColorSource console have a fixture editor so you can create a profile for a generic unnamed fixture that is not on the on board library ? While I always dream of Robe, these fixtures are often out of reach for those of us often buying our own equipment for shows. I really do like the look of the console.

Thanks

Rob McDonald

Parents Reply
  • Hi,

It depends on the color-system of the fixture itself. If the fixture does *not* use an Intensity parameter to "master" the UV color, I would choose RGBAW in ColorSource Edit (Red, Amber, Green, Blue, White). Then, I would add a parameter called "UV" into the Beam category. That would make the UV a separate control from the regular colors, which is how I would tend to use UV anyway.

On the other hand, if your fixture does have an Intensity address that masters the UV, then you're kind of stuck. The ColorSource console always has at least one RGB address that it controls along with the Intensity fader. So, in that scenario you would always need UV -and- Red or UV -and- Blue.

Would you mind sharing the fixture's Make and Model, along with a manual link if you have one?
Children
  • Hi Matt,

I appreciate your thoughts and input. I personally didn't think about using a beam parameter.
    The Fixture is a Event Lighting Par 12x12 (http://event-lighting.com.au/collections/par-series/products/par12x12)
    The manual link is https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0304/0549/files/PAR_12_New_Ver2.0.pdf?11046447056325694360

I should state I don't own a console as yet, I am in the market currently so just researching to find what will suit my needs. The colour source 20av looks well sorted to the job. I just had a few questions. I appreciate your feed back and advice.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Creative Event Solutions Australia
  • I have a ColorSource 40 and am trying to just use the UV feature on a Blizzard HotBox 5. If I'm reading this correctly, since there is an intensity parameter I am not actually able to just utilize the UV on it without an additional color? Kinda defeats the main purpose of a black light don't you think? Any suggestions on a work around? I have a show coming up and we would really like to do a black light scene.
  • as a temporary solution, I am able to just patch it into the board as 10 single dimmer fixtures and control it that way, but it's going to make programming pretty cumbersome. Not sure if I will have enough room though as that will make two of my fixtures take up 25% of my channels. If anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it!
  • == Note : edited for clarity ==

Hi,

I don't have any way to test this without a fixture, but I think the following could work:

-Save your showfile with the Hotbox profile patched to a USB stick

-Open that .json file in ColorSource Edit

-Change the name of "Intensity" to "Master" (or some other name that is not Intensity)

-Save for console (producing a file called userlib.jlib)

-Import that profile into your showfile.

Now, you should be able to Home that fixture and have all colors go out.  

You will need to set the Channel fader to full to make this work.  You will be able to control the overall intensity of the fixture by adjusting that "Master" channel, but will have to do so through the Params, not on the Channel Fader itself.  I would recommend making four or five Playback Memories, where each memory is a pure color with full Intensity.  Then, use those Memories to mix your color.

I will readily admit that this is cumbersome, but less so than the method you proposed, and still gives you access to the color-chip mixing capabilities of the console.

• The current best solution is to edit the fixture template to remove the "UV" parameter, then patch a Dimmer into the DMX address of the UV parameter.
    - Once deleted you'll see the "gap"in the Universe view, so you don't have to work out the number.

For fixtures that have a real Intensity parameter, you'll need create a new "Intensity+UV" template.

Note that ColorSource will warn you if the UV Dimmer is in the middle of the HotBox fixture as overlapping patch is often a mistake, however it is perfectly fine as long as the Dimmer is in the "gap" and you don't have two parameters on the same DMX address.

We are working on a better solution for a future update.

• Question. Why would I have to rename intensity? If The home values of the colors are all 0 wouldn't that be enough? I'm sure you're right, just trying to figure out why it is like that. I still can't get ColorSource Edit to load on my work computer, so hopefully I can get it running when I get home tonight.
Related