Colorsource AV Universes

Hey - I'm using the Colorsource AV 40.  I'm a little confused about the universe assignments.  I know how to assign a universe when I patch, but how do I access the instrument if I am only using the DMX 1 port?  Example:  If I assign an instrument to Channel 1 in universe 2, how to I go in and control it? Do I have to use the second DMX output?  If so, then how / why are there 5 internal universes?  Color me confused! 

Parents
  • In short, yes you would have to use the second DMX socket. Ignoring sACN/Art-Net for a moment, DMX universes are physically seperate. For example, an instrument assigned to universe 1 needs a cable from DMX output one on the desk, and an instrument assigned to universe 2 would need a seperate cable connected to DMX output two on the desk. The two cables/instruments should not be connected together by a splitter or to form a ring. A physical DMX cable can only carry one universe. The exception being 5 wire cables - but then they are still physically seperate but just share the same outer sheath.

As explained in Richard's reply, it's a bit different when you start using ethernet.

Hope that helps!

Simon

• In short, yes you would have to use the second DMX socket. Ignoring sACN/Art-Net for a moment, DMX universes are physically seperate. For example, an instrument assigned to universe 1 needs a cable from DMX output one on the desk, and an instrument assigned to universe 2 would need a seperate cable connected to DMX output two on the desk. The two cables/instruments should not be connected together by a splitter or to form a ring. A physical DMX cable can only carry one universe. The exception being 5 wire cables - but then they are still physically seperate but just share the same outer sheath.

As explained in Richard's reply, it's a bit different when you start using ethernet.

Hope that helps!

Simon

Children
No Data
Related