40 vs 80 Fixture limits inconsistent info

Hello, have been reviewing the CS offline in order to recommend what unit to use for a school. The question I have is on the ETC site it states that all the CS 20 or 40 f as er versions allow up to 80 fixtures. However on vendor sites and in the latest FullCompass catalog it says the CS 20’s allow 40 fixtures and the 40’s allow 80 fixtures? What is true?

Also, wondering how people deal with “Grouping” fixtures (ie EOS style) and/or assign groups of fixtures to submasters?

Thanks in advance.

• The ETC site is correct.

ETC often add new features and make other product improvements.

All ColorSource family consoles support 80 fixtures since software v3.0.0, before then there was a difference.

The ETC website will get updated as each the release happens, however resellers and third parties often take longer to update their documentation. The last couple of years have been ... interesting? ... so it's not entirely surprising.

So in general, always trust the manufacturer spec.

As to Groups:

The Playbacks (submasters) are generally for playback - set up some 'parts of' a look, and use them together to mix lights and colors produce the look(s) you're after.

The Eos-style grouping tool is "Quick Select". That divides the Stage Map into regions and also lets you select by "tag".

You can download the offline editor from the software page here:
    www.etcconnect.com/.../Software.aspx

• Thanks, that's what I wanted to here and have confirmed. (I did mess around with the offline and that's what made us consider this console!)

Related