Will the KORG NanoKey work with cobalt?

Hi,

I just saw a console from a different brand with a KORG Nanokey hooked up to it.  Is there a way to get it to work with Cobalt as triggers or preset bumps?  Just curious, thanks...

-Ethan

Parents
  • Hi 3than,

yes, you can use a standard MIDI keyboard to trigger bumps and other on Cobalt.

First, goto Play Settings / MIDI, and enable "Standard MIDI Direct Mode".
    Then, use a MIDI cable to connect your MIDI keyboard's "MIDI OUT" port to the console's "MIDI IN" port.

Then check the "MIDI direct playmode chart" on page 172 of the Cobalt 7.0.0 manual to see the effect of each key.
    The manual can be downloaded here:
    http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/manuals/CobaltFamily_v7.0.0_UserManual_RevA.pdf

Examples:
    To trigger Cobalt bumps 1-20, you must send MIDI keys 20-39 (which is MIDI notes G#-1 - D#1) on MIDI channel 1.
    Unfortunately, these notes are very, very low, so you might need to transpose your keyboard several octaves down to get the desired effect.
    To trigger Cobalt bumps 21-40, you must send the same key range  on MIDI channel 2, and so on. 

As an alternative,you can trigger Direct Selects using MIDI keys 50-89 (MIDI notes D1 - F5) on MIDI channel 1.

I hope this helps.
    Hans 

[edited by: hleiter at 2:51 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, May 21 2014]
  • The NanoKey is USB...  I don't think it has a MIDI port

I may buy one and try it out tho..

-E

• You cannot directly plug a pure USB MIDI keyboard to the console.
    If you want to connect the keyboard directly to the console, you need one with a local MIDI OUT port, like the Novation Impulse 25 or M-Audio Axiom 25.

If you want to use a pure USB MIDI keyboard like the Korg NanoKey, you need the following:
    1. a PC or MAC
    2. a USB/MIDI or Fireware/MIDI interface 
    3. a MIDI cable from the MIDI interface to the console
    4. MIDI software on the PC/MAC that can route MIDI input from the USB keyboard to the MIDI interface's output

Hans

• You cannot directly plug a pure USB MIDI keyboard to the console.
    If you want to connect the keyboard directly to the console, you need one with a local MIDI OUT port, like the Novation Impulse 25 or M-Audio Axiom 25.

If you want to use a pure USB MIDI keyboard like the Korg NanoKey, you need the following:
    1. a PC or MAC
    2. a USB/MIDI or Fireware/MIDI interface 
    3. a MIDI cable from the MIDI interface to the console
    4. MIDI software on the PC/MAC that can route MIDI input from the USB keyboard to the MIDI interface's output

Hans

Children
Related