Copy Preset question

I built my show, Preset 25 is used multiple times in the sequence. Down the road I decide that I need to break out one of the preset 25's because I need to make a change in one cue only. The way I handle this now is open up the sequence editor and rename the preset and tell it its a copy in the pop-up. Does exactly what I want it to do, keeps all the settings, time etc. of the step, it just gives me a new copy of the preset I can edit. My question is, it seems like there should be a faster way of doing that in a live environment without having to open up spreadsheets. Kind of like an update or record feature for the step you are in.

Does something like that exist and I just can't find it?

Parents
  • Hi Jason -

You can always record the current state to a new number; HOWEVER - you aren't copying everything like text, times, and so on. This is why the change in the spreadsheet might be faster in the end. It's one of the small annoyances when reusing presets - that there might be one where instead of reusing you want a slight variation. The spreadsheet gives us the context we need when the preset number itself can't provide it. Make sense?.

If you want to do this (sortof) in Live, do this with Build mode enabled (which inserts presets into the sequence on the main playback as you record them) so that the record action puts that new number into the sequence between whatever is currently in A and B. This would mean the old reused preset would still be there lurking. In that case, I would GO BACK one step into that old reused preset step and then use DELETE & A to delete that step from the sequence.

So, while in the reused preset step you want to change:

Make your changes.

# RECORD to a new number (for example if 1 is the reused preset number, maybe 1.1 is the variant, so 1.1 RECORD)

GO BACK (to the previous step that contains preset 1 in this example)

DELETE & A (deletes that step that contains preset 1) Now the step containing 1.1 exists in place of the step that contained preset 1.

Thanks!

Sarah

• Makes sense, it would be nice if there was an option on the update popup menu to copy to a new preset with the current step info. Would save a bit of time and it seems like a pretty common need (or maybe I'm just bad at planning my presets :-) But I understand if you are working non-linearly it could be a headache! Thanks a lot Sarah!
  • Makes sense, it would be nice if there was an option on the update popup menu to copy to a new preset with the current step info. Would save a bit of time and it seems like a pretty common need (or maybe I'm just bad at planning my presets :-) But I understand if you are working non-linearly it could be a headache! Thanks a lot Sarah!
Children
No Data
Related