Is Nomad recommended for tech-capable beginners? Should we look at others?

Looking for software for Windows/Linux for rural theatre club including ETC SmartPack 12.1K DMX.
Is Nomad recommended for beginners? 20 channel dimmer, maybe 6 shows per year, tech/electrical capable operators with Good PC knowledge.

• Ok, I have been working with Eos-Family for years now, so of course I think it's easy to understand. But I also instruct and had people from all different corners of the business.
    So I think it's safe to say that you and you're team can easily achieve what you need with nomad. There are excellent tutorials available and a helpful bunch of users is around both on Facebook anbd here in the forums.
    If you have concrete questions don't hesitate to ask them here!
  • I am the first to admit how dumb I am when it comes to using consoles. Really dumb. Ueli can attest to some of my past questions I have posted. I said that to say this: in the very first day I received my ION console, ? years ago I had a rather lengthy and complicated theatre show programmed and running that same night. So that's that about the ETC consoles, or at least ION. Taking it a step further Nomad is simply their consoles on a laptop or similar. Only thing that can cause a slow down is learning the shortcuts and hot keys, but there is a list for that and with a little use of the same ones over and over that comes natural.
    So will Nomad work for you. I'd listen to Ueli.
  • Folks this is in the Cobalt section, not Eos.

River - are you specifically looking at using the Cobalt Nomad software, or the Eos Nomad software?

• Sorry (and to you Sarah C.), why does that keep happening to me... ;)
  • re. "Cobalt Nomad software, or the Eos Nomad software",

Don't know the difference. Searched for both; got the same EOS Cobalt webpages. Am I missing something?

• ETC sells consoles that belong to different families. Their philosophy and approach are quite different, so is the software. The only thing in common is that the PC/Mac version is called ETCnomad, either ETCnomad Eos or ETCnomad Cobalt.
  • It appears you are saying there is a difference between EOS & Cobalt. Where can I find the descriptions?
    Is EOS for the Mac, Cobalt for the PC?
    Or, since I am purchasing ETC SmartPack 12.1K DMX, which s/w applies?
  • Yes I'm saying they're different, very much so.

Both will control lights and do their job very well, just the way is different. Think of it as different cars, they both will transport you but look different even if they're made by the same manufacturer.

Both Eos and Cobalt Nomad run both on Windows and Mac platforms natively.

The good thing is: when you buy the nomad license you don't have to decide yet as it will work for both softwares.
  • Ah ha, we're getting somewhere. Now I just need to understand what this Nomad thingy is - hardware, firmware, software. What does the license license?
  • The software is for free. To make it output you need: a license dongle. It licenses the number of DMX addresses you're allowed to control.
    That's just the software side. The physical output can be achieved either through an ETC Gadget, which is a USB-DMX adapter or through any node that can translate ArtNet or sACN to DMX. Those nodes can be either the ones by ETC (the advantage being that you can use RDM over Ethernet) or by a third party manufacturer.
    Now that we talked about what you need to have, we can talk about the nice to have. Additional physical input options (keys to press, rather than using keyboard shortcuts and a mouse): touch screens can make your life simpler, an Xkeys customizable keyboard and/or a tablet with a customizable OSC layout as well.

Are we getting further?

• Excellent reply.
    So any recommendation re. Cobalt vs. EOS for lighting control software newbies (as before: tech/electrical capable operators with Good PC knowledge.)
    I like the short cut key method; mice are for graphics.
  • ok, since the cobalt people won't reply... ;)

Eos and Cobalt do the same: they control stuff. it's just the way how you get there that's different. i'm an Eos person, so my summary of the Cobalt side might be over simplified.

but first of all let me say this: i'm convinced that in the big leagues there are no good or bad consoles, it's just the person sitting in front of it and the console aren't happy with each other.

Eos uses what's called a command line. you write phrases into the command line. you get the words to those phrases by pressing the button that has the word written on it. so you want to start a phrase with Record, you press the button that says Record. when you're happy with your phrase you press Enter and the console will try to achieve what you said. the syntax of the phrases usually follows the order how we speak. "Record Cue 15 Time 5 Enter" or "Channel 15 at 30 Enter" or "Channel 5 CopyTo Channel 3 Enter" or "Delete Cue 3 Enter" or "GotoCue 5 Time 7 Enter". i like it because it's straight forward and you learn by analogy. you don't need to have used every single command in every single possible situation. as soon as you understood what the word means, you can start to think of situations where you can use it.

Cobalt on the other hand uses RPN (Reverse Polish Notation). the advantage is you don't need enter in the end, the disadvantage is that you don't type in the order you speak. when Eos uses "Channel 1 Thru 5 at 40 Enter", Cobalt says "1 Channel 5 Thru 40 Level". Numbers first and explain what the number means afterwards equals less keystrokes.

because Cobalt has really powerful masters that can be configured in any way you want, the current opinion seems to be that cobalt is better for Live environments whereas Eos shines in theatre environments. but let me come back to the beginning: there are no good and bad consoles, just ones that don't work with the person sitting in front of it. Eos and Cobalt both can do live and theatre, you just might need more workarounds in an environment.
  • I would add that it also depends on the venue and how you are using it. Eos is designed first and foremost to be a very linear console. Cue one happens, then cue two builds upon cue one etc. Whereas Cobalt is designed to be very nonlinear It doesn't matter where or when cue one is, cue two is ready to go.

The result is if your venue relies heavily on standard theatrical style shows Eos would probably be your best choice. If you have a venue that does the same things out of order, then Cobalt will be your easiest solution. Examples are Churches, Music Venues, Corporate venues. They might have a cue for podium one, a cue for a projection, a cue for song one and they can easily play them back in any order that they need to on that particular night.

The takeaway is both consoles are capable of doing the same things its just how do you want to get there. Cobalt can do theatre, Eos can do live events as Ueli said, its what you are comfortable with.

The good part is by getting an ETCNomad, you aren't locked into one or the other. You can try one out and if you don't like it you can try the other. The software is all free to try online.
  • Here is a really good resource written by the product managers of both the Cobalt and Eos Line... Note, the link refers to Congo which is a earlier version of the current Cobalt the control theories are the same between the two.

http://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737461850

• Excellent responses. Thank you Ueli and Jason
Related