Device List - Item # vs Channel #

New desk just arrived, upgrading from Congo Sr --> Cobalt 20, very excited. Writing a fresh show file for our house hang, from scratch but based on the current, stupid, patch. I am not repatching because I would like to be able to safely Import old show information from the Congo Years, since we have a refocusable moving light rig and many shows are returners. 

Because the patch is dumb, the fastest way to patch a show is to patch it in big chunks via the Patch Wizard--out of order--and then renumber the channels into an order that makes sense. What this means is that the channel order in the Device List, when the list is sorted by its default Item #, is all over the place. I notice that my original shows appear to have been patched using a different method, so as the Item # goes up, the Channel # goes up. Apart from the mild annoyance of a sloppy list display, my question is this: 

To what does device info--Palettes, Preset data, anything Importable--attach? Does it reference the Item, or the Channel number? If a "Device" is the item in the list, it seems to me if I patch my new file in a different order such that item 15 (new show) is a different object from item 15 (last several years show), my imports won't work properly? Or does it really matter?

[Edited to add:] OK, odd: on restart (dinner break), channel #s are ascending with item #s, which was not the case when patched. Tab refresh issue? Imma keep building my show, but I guess my question remains, if in a different form: what constitutes a Device, exactly, and where does show data adhere?

Parents
  • Hi Anne,
    Generally, color and beam palettes are By Device Type. Focus palettes are By Device, and I believe reference the channel #.
    I usually patch my movers together in blocks by type, but I don't have that many that it gets to be a problem.
    You can reorder the how the device list displays by double clicking on the item column or channel column.
    I played with it off line. If you change the channel # after recording a palette by device, the palette changes to have the new channel #.
    Wow, that is a tough one to figure out and work out the import.
    Good luck.
    John
  • I've had trouble importing Color & Beam Palettes from old shows to newly-patched devices of the same Type (using the same Device Template), so both By Device and By Type are things I'm curious about.
  • Hi Anne,

Sorry for the slow response. Device information is tied to the channel number so it doesn't have to be in the same order in the Device List.

By Device palettes are tied to the channel number. However, the By Type of tied to the template index (basically the order of templates in the Template List) so they can be tricky to get imported correctly. Ideally, you should try to get the templates in the same order as in the old show for this to work.
  • Hi Anne,

Sorry for the slow response. Device information is tied to the channel number so it doesn't have to be in the same order in the Device List.

By Device palettes are tied to the channel number. However, the By Type of tied to the template index (basically the order of templates in the Template List) so they can be tricky to get imported correctly. Ideally, you should try to get the templates in the same order as in the old show for this to work.
Children
Related