TouchOSC, Nomad, Java oh my...

Question: Do you think it is a bad idea to install Java onto the same PC that you run Nomad on?

Background:

I'm using TouchOSC with Nomad Cobalt, which in general is working great.

My workflow for editing the TouchOSC interface is a pain. To edit/sync TouchOSC from the PC to the iPad, you need a PC on the same wireless network as the iPad, and it has to have Java, and TouchOSC editor installed on it.

I only have one laptop with wireless, with is set up for dual boot.

• 1st boot is Nomad, which I keep very clean, with almost no software installed other than Cobalt installed on it.
  • 2nd boot is for normal use, with word, mail, etc installed on it. One thing I have installed is Java, so that I can use the TouchOSC editor.

So to edit/test the TouchOSC interface with Nomad, I have to boot to the 2nd boot, edit the TouchOSC interface, reboot to the 1st boot, open Cobalt, test it. If it doesn't do what I need, I have to reboot back to the 2nd boot, edit, reboot, etc.

But I'm concerned about installing Java on the same boot as Nomad.

Thoughts?

Parents
  • Hi James,
    I realized that you asked this on both the Facebook group and this forum but it was only answered on the Facebook group. I'm copying the answer here so others can benefit.

"It won't be an issue for the Cobalt software. The real issue is security.
    If you install JRE via a physical medium (I.e.: download the full installer to a USB and then swap over to Cobalt boot) and continue to keep the Cobalt boot off of the open internet, you should be fine. If you connect to the open internet and it isn't updated, you have the potential for viruses and malware to use the vulnerabilities in the older JRE."

• Hi James,
    I realized that you asked this on both the Facebook group and this forum but it was only answered on the Facebook group. I'm copying the answer here so others can benefit.

"It won't be an issue for the Cobalt software. The real issue is security.
    If you install JRE via a physical medium (I.e.: download the full installer to a USB and then swap over to Cobalt boot) and continue to keep the Cobalt boot off of the open internet, you should be fine. If you connect to the open internet and it isn't updated, you have the potential for viruses and malware to use the vulnerabilities in the older JRE."

Children
No Data
Related