Cobalt Nomad Midi Encoder Control

Hello,

I'm wondering if it is possible to control the encoders through MIDI for the Cobalt Nomad in standard or direct mode. I've found the charts in the help menus, but dont see the encoders listed anywhere, unless they're called something else?

Thank you kindly,

Rob

Parents
  • The wheels/encoders aren't available via MIDI as they are "endless" and the MIDI standards don't support this concept.
    - While some MIDI controllers do have physically endless pots, they actually send 0-127 values and either wrap or 'top out' when they hit the end value.

You can still take direct control of parameters via MIDI, just assign the ones you want to Masters that you aren't using for anything else.
    Be aware that MIDI is 7 bit and so some parameters will be a bit 'steppy' like this - for example, Pan & Tilt are probably not really usable.

Another option is to use OSC to drive the parameters directly, using commands like "parameter/tilt <0.0-1.0>"
    See the Help for more - you can drive any parameter at all, not just the ones currently on the encoders.
    (We are intending to expand the range of OSC commands in future updates)
  • Thank you - this is helpful.

I'm trying to determine if the Elation MidiCon Pro is versatile enough to function as my only hardware controller for Nomad (and I'm open to using either EOS or Cobalt at this point - whichever integrates more effectively).

The manual describes the encoder MIDI mapping as such: "The data encoder wheels send MIDI messages for increment (turn right one step) and decrement (turn left one step)."
    WHEELS (Always MIDI Channel 1)
    Wheel 1 Turn RIGHT 1 click – Note 113
    Wheel 1 Turn LEFT 1 click – Note 114

So it seems as though they basically send an "increase value" or "decrease value" command. Would this be effective to control parameters assigned to masters, or OSC, as you suggest?

Thank you,
  • to answer the Eos Nomad side of your questions: Eos currently doesn't process Midi Notes as input. so you would have to use e.g. OSCulator or some other translation software to get from Midi to OSC. as soon as you are there, i'm pretty sure it would work.
  • MIDI Notes are the keys on a piano keyboard.
    The MIDI device you describe is actually sending a (high-pitched) "F F F F F F" when Wheel 1 is turned right, and "F# F# F# F# F# F#" when turned left.

So that device does not really have wheels, instead it has a way of repeatedly mashing two piano keys.

In Cobalt, MIDI Notes are used to press physical buttons on the console.
    - There's a MIDI Note for "Go", one for "[C/Alt]" etc.
    Both the "NOTE ON" (press button) and "NOTE OFF" (release button) must be sent for every button.

Cobalt uses key combinations for most commands, and obviously you want to hold down Flash buttons!

It's possible that these 'wheels' might be useful if assigned to pairs of keys like [+%] and [-%], however I would be quite nervous about doing that as you'd end up with a key combination command if you do anything else while rotating them.

Faders are moved using MIDI Controllers.
    If the unit has faders then they are probably Controllers and could drive Masters if appropriately configured.
  • MIDI Notes are the keys on a piano keyboard.
    The MIDI device you describe is actually sending a (high-pitched) "F F F F F F" when Wheel 1 is turned right, and "F# F# F# F# F# F#" when turned left.

So that device does not really have wheels, instead it has a way of repeatedly mashing two piano keys.

In Cobalt, MIDI Notes are used to press physical buttons on the console.
    - There's a MIDI Note for "Go", one for "[C/Alt]" etc.
    Both the "NOTE ON" (press button) and "NOTE OFF" (release button) must be sent for every button.

Cobalt uses key combinations for most commands, and obviously you want to hold down Flash buttons!

It's possible that these 'wheels' might be useful if assigned to pairs of keys like [+%] and [-%], however I would be quite nervous about doing that as you'd end up with a key combination command if you do anything else while rotating them.

Faders are moved using MIDI Controllers.
    If the unit has faders then they are probably Controllers and could drive Masters if appropriately configured.
Children
No Data
Related