Networking PC as Client to Cobalt

Hi All,
Can anyone give me some basic step by step instructions on having a PC with Cobalt installed act as a client to our Cobalt 20?
Specifically:
Network connection(s)
Network configuration on PC & on Cobalt

There are 2 network ports on the back of the Cobalt, Port One is connected by ACN to our Pathport network, this is used to send out 3 DMX universes currently.
Can I connect the PC with Cobalt software to the other network port (Port Two), or must I connect to this network via a switch on the same port (port One) as Pathport?
What settings are critical to making sure this works?

Are there any limitations on the Client, i.e. channel count, caused by the Dongle?

I've spent a bit of time with this already, but am missing something as I've not been able to get it to connect as a Client
Cobalt is installed on the PC, the dongle works and I can run the PC as a standalone Cobalt Server, connect to our Pathport network & get lights to operate. The system channel count is limited, and warns me of that.

• Good Morning Ric,

you can use both ports on the back of the Cobalt to connect your laptop as Client.

Regardless though of which you port you connect to, you need to have a switch between

the Cobalt and your Laptop.

Other things to watch out for:

- both Cobalt versions - on your Cobalt and Laptop, need to the same exact version, and language.

- both devices need to be in the same IP Subnet. For example.

If the Cobalt's Network Settings are

Cobalt IP: 10.101.87.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default GW: 10.101.1.1

then the Laptop should be

Laptop IP: 10.101.1.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default GW: 10.101.1.1

Make sure all three sets of numbers are entered in both devices - also the default Gateway IP. Some software/devices

will not work properly without the default gateway.

You cannot use the same subnet on both network cards in the Cobalt, so you will need make sure that's sorted.

If your pathport network is using a 10.101 subnet, then just connect your laptop to that switch, and make

sure your laptop is set also to a 10.101 subnet.

Once your have this set, you can try pinging the Laptop from the Cobalt, and see if that's successful.

Hope that helps!

• Hi Ric,
    Corey has covered the tcp/ip info and version requirements.
    Just to reiterate the obvious for anyone that might read this thread, remember to NEVER connect your consoles to the internet. It is very important to keep your lighting network as a closed system.
    Now back to trying to help...
    Just confirming that you are using the release version of 7.2. I had some problems with an early beta version of 7.2 getting the client logged on.
    The dongle as a client is not limited by its output count. The Cobalt 20 is the server, so that limits the outputs of the system.
    If you want to use the second network output to connect to the client, you could use a router and allow it to take care of ip addressing for that output. It could stay in the typical 192.168.0.xxx ip range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. You can also have the Cobalt be the DHCP server for either or both outputs but make sure to disable the DHCP in the router in that case.
    What I have done here is use one network to feed the Net3 gateways, Consoles (Server & Back-up), Client(s), and wireless access point for the RFR app. My network is configured 10.101.xxx.xxx with the subnet 255.255.0.0 (16 bit). All of my address are static, and I only activate DHCP if needed. I am reserving my second network output for use with ArtNet devices as maybe needed in the future.
    Take care,
    John
  • Thanks all, I have it up & working over the single network connection.
    It was a bit clunky to work things out, but I'll keep playing with the setup until I have mastered they how & whys of it all.
    Long term I may choose to separate the client/server network system away from the Artnet network system, just to keep things clear for others who will use this.
  • If you only want it to ba a client you can go on port 2. But if your dongle have the outputs needed and you want to use it as a backup you need to be on the same network as the ACN or you will loose connection if the Server goes down.
Related