Networking with PC, Resolume Arena

Helo,

I´ve read some topics in community, but I probably need to narrow the info (or recommendation of some article describing step by step walktrhrough)

Situation:

I operate Congo Kid with Cobalt ver. 7 software

I´ve got wifi remote connected to ethernet port #1, works fine (IP adress 10.101.83.101, Subnet mask 255.255.0.0, no Default Gateway)

I´ve connected my PC Win 10 ethernet port with Congo ethernet port #2 and no matter which guide I use, I´m not able to establish working network connection

Mission goal:

I need console and PC to talk, so I can set 3rd universe to controll Resolume Arena v. 5

Need:

step by step walkthrough with setting up the console and the PC. Once it is done, I hope setting up Resolume shouldn´t be a problem.

thank you

Parents
  • Assuming you mean "Sends out DMX-Over-Ethernet":

First of all, the console has no idea who is listening to the DMX-over-Ethernet.
    Most devices just listen out for the DMX and don't let the console know if they are working.

So it may well be working just fine already, you just haven't set up Resolume to listen yet.

Step-by-step:

1) Determine which DMX-over-Ethernet protocol you wish to use.

Congo Kid supports:

• sACN (E1.31)
    • Art-Net 1
    • ETCNet2 (EDMX)

Check in the manual for Resolume to find out what it can receive, and find one Congo Kid can send and Resolume can receive.

If you have a choice, then sACN is the best.

2) Enable your chosen protocols.
    In System Settings:

Ensure the chosen protocol is Enabled on the correct network port.
    - Art-Net and ETCNet2 can only be used on one network port
    - sACN can be used on both network ports.

For sACN: Choose Priority 100 and Release Version.
    For Art-Net: Choose "Limited Broadcast".

(The other options have special meanings and are rarely desired.)

3) Map your Console Universes (used in the Patch Wizard) to Network Universes.
    In System Settings:

Check the Universe Map and make sure that the "correct" network universes are mapped.
    By default:
    - sACN is mapped 1 to 1.
    - Art-Net is disabled.

Art-Net is very "shouty" so it's best to map the minimum number of Universes - in your case, just console universe 3.

4) Make sure the network ports are enabled and have usable IP addresses.

If you are using two network ports, then they must be in different "IP subnets".
    I think the defaults are:

• 10.101.x.y, subnet mask 255.255.0.0
    • 192.168.1.x, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

(Many other values will work of course.)
    For example, you could use Console Secondary 192.168.101 and the Resolume PC at IP Address 192.168.1.102

Note: Avoid IPs in the range "2.x.y.z".
    Some versions of the Art-Net specification suggest this IP range, however it should never be used as this is an Internet IP address (eg 2.0.0.1 is in Nantes, France).
    Windows, macOS, Android and iOS know that 2.x.y.z is "the Internet" and automatically apply special rules that may prevent it from working.

5) Patch and test. Stay within the output count!
    Congo Kid has 1024 outputs. Browser > About > About Cobalt will tell you have many you've used and have left.

To see whether sACN is getting to your PC, you can use "sACNView": http://docsteer.github.io/sacnview/

There are similar tools for Art-Net, however I've not used any so can't recommend anything specific.

• Assuming you mean "Sends out DMX-Over-Ethernet":

First of all, the console has no idea who is listening to the DMX-over-Ethernet.
    Most devices just listen out for the DMX and don't let the console know if they are working.

So it may well be working just fine already, you just haven't set up Resolume to listen yet.

Step-by-step:

1) Determine which DMX-over-Ethernet protocol you wish to use.

Congo Kid supports:

• sACN (E1.31)
    • Art-Net 1
    • ETCNet2 (EDMX)

Check in the manual for Resolume to find out what it can receive, and find one Congo Kid can send and Resolume can receive.

If you have a choice, then sACN is the best.

2) Enable your chosen protocols.
    In System Settings:

Ensure the chosen protocol is Enabled on the correct network port.
    - Art-Net and ETCNet2 can only be used on one network port
    - sACN can be used on both network ports.

For sACN: Choose Priority 100 and Release Version.
    For Art-Net: Choose "Limited Broadcast".

(The other options have special meanings and are rarely desired.)

3) Map your Console Universes (used in the Patch Wizard) to Network Universes.
    In System Settings:

Check the Universe Map and make sure that the "correct" network universes are mapped.
    By default:
    - sACN is mapped 1 to 1.
    - Art-Net is disabled.

Art-Net is very "shouty" so it's best to map the minimum number of Universes - in your case, just console universe 3.

4) Make sure the network ports are enabled and have usable IP addresses.

If you are using two network ports, then they must be in different "IP subnets".
    I think the defaults are:

• 10.101.x.y, subnet mask 255.255.0.0
    • 192.168.1.x, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

(Many other values will work of course.)
    For example, you could use Console Secondary 192.168.101 and the Resolume PC at IP Address 192.168.1.102

Note: Avoid IPs in the range "2.x.y.z".
    Some versions of the Art-Net specification suggest this IP range, however it should never be used as this is an Internet IP address (eg 2.0.0.1 is in Nantes, France).
    Windows, macOS, Android and iOS know that 2.x.y.z is "the Internet" and automatically apply special rules that may prevent it from working.

5) Patch and test. Stay within the output count!
    Congo Kid has 1024 outputs. Browser > About > About Cobalt will tell you have many you've used and have left.

To see whether sACN is getting to your PC, you can use "sACNView": http://docsteer.github.io/sacnview/

There are similar tools for Art-Net, however I've not used any so can't recommend anything specific.

Children
No Data
Related