Plotting

Hi

I just wanted to see if any of this is possible? Heres my question's

Im lighting a show soon and iv been told my time for plotting and desiging the lighting is very short. In one of the scenes its a comedy sketch where there is 4 specials on characters that just flick bewteen each other when one of them says their line, im thinnking as i have the script and i know where the cues are going i can build this away from the theatre to save time when im there.

Now can i build this, save it and upload it when i get to the point of the show where i need it to save it in my preset list when im at the theatre?

And say i built this and when i get to the theatre they have changed where the fixtures are being plugged into could i change the patch with ease?

Hope this all makes sence

Parents
  • You can build any show you like in the Congo Offline Editor, or in the console regardless of whether the fixtures really exist*, and just load the show at the venue.

You can also Import some Presets from one show to another - this relies on the basic data being the same, eg using the same device templates on the each of the desk Channels etc.

Only the desk Channels matter, you can change the DMX patch at any time.

Patch is just a mapping between Desk Channels and the DMX addresses you happen to be using that day - you need to have a patch, but it doesn't matter if you change it later.

When a show is touring the dimmers are rarely at the same addresses in two venues so they are always changing this around.

This is extremely common, perhaps also using Visualisation (eg Capture Polar) to simulate what the real lights will look like on a computer.

* Without RDM the console has no way of knowing whether the light exists, so it really cannot possibly care either way.

• You can build any show you like in the Congo Offline Editor, or in the console regardless of whether the fixtures really exist*, and just load the show at the venue.

You can also Import some Presets from one show to another - this relies on the basic data being the same, eg using the same device templates on the each of the desk Channels etc.

Only the desk Channels matter, you can change the DMX patch at any time.

Patch is just a mapping between Desk Channels and the DMX addresses you happen to be using that day - you need to have a patch, but it doesn't matter if you change it later.

When a show is touring the dimmers are rarely at the same addresses in two venues so they are always changing this around.

This is extremely common, perhaps also using Visualisation (eg Capture Polar) to simulate what the real lights will look like on a computer.

* Without RDM the console has no way of knowing whether the light exists, so it really cannot possibly care either way.

Children
  • Hi Richard

Thanks for getting back to me, Iv just tried this this morning and it works great but there is a big BUT. 

Can i ask if i'm up to cue/preset 70 lets say in my show and i want to import cue's/preset's from another show in my show file how would i change it so the ones iv imported start at and carry on from the next cue/preset in my main playback i.e 71?.

I noticed it does import to the next number i.e 71 which is my next cue/preset, but you then have in the main playback screen cue/preset 1-70 is fine then the next cue/preset is 1 which was saved like that in the play i imported it from, now the step is 71 but the cue/preset number 1. I understand the logic but if i want to go to that selected cue/preset it will become tricky.

I hope this makes sense and I'm proberly asking for something impossible to happen.

Lets us know your thoughts

• In v6.2.1 there is an option of "Preset Offset" in the Import dialog, so you can add a number to the imported Presets.

Eg importing Presets 1 thru 5 using Preset Offset "10.0" will import them as 11 thru 15.

(Also, Watch this space...)

• Hi Richard

That's brilliant, many thanks indeed

Related